soda measurements

Why are the larger soda bottles measured using the metric system, but smaller bottles measured using standard ounces?

Because the smaller sizes came first.

When it became appearant that larger sizes were desirable, the Metric conversion of the 1970’s hit. Bottlers jumped on the Metric bandwagon and pioneer the 2-liter size jugs. They were a hit, and nobody cared that they weren’t measured in ounces nor quarts.

When Metric didn’t take off, the bottle size molds were already in place, it wasn’t worth the bother to change, and the term “2-liter” was now a part of the language.

The 20-ounce bottle came after the 2-liter, going back to the English units. A 1/2 liter bottle (16+ ounces) is making the rounds, but Americans now associate “liter” with multiple servings, so it’s not taking off.

This is all strange because Americans will buy a 7-11 “Double Gulp” (64 oz) to drink by themselves, but would feel strange drinking a 2-liter by themselves, even though the latter is only 5% larger. :rolleyes:

Because the bottle making equipment comes from Europe. That’s the case with the aseptic packaging, (juice boxes and the like) anyway.

Otherwise I’d expect Ms. Soda to stop in with a comment.

Thought the little fella was getting a bit too personal there for a minute.

Heh, heh, heh.
(P.S.: Hey soda!:))

Speak for yourself. I quite commonly buy 2 liter bottles for immediate consumption. I routinely pay $.99 for them and 1 liter bottles usually run $1.09. Why pay 10% more for 50% less? I can always recap the bottle and put it in the refrigerator if it gets warm.