Soft Water to Hard?

Greetings all -

I just moved to Louisiana and for the first
time (really), I am dealing with very soft
water. It’s naturally that way rather than
a water softener doing the trick.

I understand it’s suppose to be best for
washing clothes and it’s easier on the machines, but taking a shower is a real pain.
You can’t ever seem to get the soap off of your skin.

So I ask…

Is there a method of “hardening” water. Or does anyone know of a soap specially designed to be used with soft water? Anyone else found a way around the problem (if you consider it a problem that is)?

Thank you in advance…

The snozberries taste like snozberries!

That’s an odd one.

Basically, hardness is a measure of the concentration of certain Ca and Mg ions in the water. You could get one of those showers that has a little reservoir for putting shower gel in and fill it with quicklime?

ben

That’s an odd one.

Basically, hardness is a measure of the concentration of certain Ca and Mg ions in the water. You could get one of those showers that has a little reservoir for putting shower gel in and fill it with quicklime?

ben

Mardi - I dunno your gender, but I’d hazard to guess that you don’t use Caress or a similar soap marketed to females. Mrs. Rastahomie tells me that they work better in soft water (dunno how she knows this, but…).

BTW, use less detergent in your wash. Softer water seems to make for more bubbles.

Welcome to our little corner of paradise! If you put up with the heat, humidity, hurricanes, poverty, annoying insects, theiving politicians, and general dismal state of education, then you’ll love Louisiana.

I live in New Orleans now, but I’m from Tangipahoa Parish. Don’t count me as provencial, though. I’ve managed to live in nearly every other part of the country also.

We don’t have the hard water problems in New Orleans that you have on the North Shore, but I know whereof you speak. I can’t stand taking showers at my relative’s homes (“Hey! The soap won’t come off!”). They never seem to have a problem themselves, though, so either they don’t bother to use soap or they’re just so used to it, they don’t even notice anymore.

You’re not going to get a satisfactory answer from the native Hammond-ites. Check with another transplant and see what they did.

Whatcha teaching, BTW?