Solitary job advice

Can anyone suggest an entry - level job that would have a solitary work environment? Also it would be helpful if any British dopers knew of any jobs fitting this description that could be found in London.

There used to be entry level customer service jobs that required you to work from home (e.g. RightNow). Customer calls would be routed to your home phone during a certain period of the day. You won’t get rich doing it though.

In a previous incarnation, I was a copyeditor for a scientific journal. I went to the publishing company once a week to drop off the work I’d done at home and pick up a new batch. Outside the entrance was a drop box and a shelf with my new pages on it–I never had to deal with another human being at all unless I ran into something I had to call the senior editor about on the phone.

I had a friend who did much the same thing except she edited doctoral theses.

ETA: It might not sound like entry level, but it was. I had to take a test to prove I could do it, but that was the only qualification they cared about.

Copy editing sounds promising. However from some preliminary searches, it doesn’t seem entry level at all. It also looks like you have to deal with a lot of people, like writers and the such.

When exactly did you work as a copy editor?

I was a copyeditor for 15 years, starting in the late 1980s. Before that I was a typesetter. I started with the journal and then worked (for a different company) in books. I got both jobs by passing reality-based tests. I don’t have a college degree, and the jobs were earned on skills and merit and not who I knew or what my resume said. So in that sense I would call it entry level. Also, the on-the-ground copyeditor reports to a senior editor, so you are not the boss of the operation.

Working for a journal is much different than doing books. In journals, the copyeditor is responsible only for correcting grammatical errors plus making sure the journal’s style guides are followed. (Examples of guides would be how the references are cited, plus certain word uses. For instance, in the journal I edited, “since” in the sense of “because” was not allowed. You had to change it to “because.”)

Journal editing only requires contact with authors etc. if you are the senior editor. The rank and file might have to call the senior editor with a question once in a while, but most often questions are handled by writing a note for the senior editor to deal with later.

Book editing is a whole different animal. There, you deal with authors, senior editors, coordinating editors, and art directors, any of whom may be wonderful people or PITAs. Generally book editors must work in an office so they can be in contact with outside people and also the in-house staff (artists, proofreaders, paginators, etc.).

A side note: Proofreading is another possibility. I’m not sure how much proofing is done these days, but when I was in the field there were quite a few home proofreaders. They generally don’t make as much as copyeditors, though.

My son does tech support for a company that handles POS system installations. Works from home. Never sees another employee.

My mate got paid to house-sit for a wealthy man in London.
It was well-paid, but he couldn’t leave the house for more than a few hours each day (for security reasons.)

Never sees, sure. I’m certain he has to deal with people all day long tho. I loathe tech support, especially over the phone, so so so much.

Since the OP is looking for advice, let’s move this to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Look at indexing. It’s something I considered but did not pursue because I don’t want a solitary job.

I did transcription work from home for a few months. Money isn’t great, and it depends on how fast and accurately you can type. I worked as an independent contractor for http://takenotetyping.com/ but I’m sure there are many more out there.

I have a lot of friends who are freelance writers and/or editors. They start out by posting samples on sites like UpWork then bidding on different jobs. A few of them have picked up long term clients from doing this. You definitely won’t get rich doing it until you gain enough experience to charge serious money for your services. One of my friends who’s been doing it for awhile now charges $100/hr USD (I have no idea what that is in euros, btw).

One word of advice: There’s a crapload of people out there who only want to pay the bare minimum for, say, editing their e-book or asking you to rewrite something. They’re the people you want to stay away from. No matter what type of freelancer you are, your time/talent are valuable. Don’t undercharge yourself.

My nephew loved being in college. After graduation he continued doing the same thing by working for a company writing papers for others. The company says the papers are to be used by the student as an example of what the professor expects.

He works at home and at the library. He submits completed assignments electronically. His paycheck comes in the mail.

Phone sex, if it is still around - can you sound like a hot babe who just has to remove her clothing every time a phone rings?

Are forest fire watch towers still “manned”?

The lighthouse-keeper job dried up years ago, sadly.

Night watchman. Overnight shift as a hotel clerk.