Some days, Ziggy is funny.

You didn’t just get regular old scooped.

You got uber-$KUped thricewise.

Truer words have never been typed.

While your reply does somewhat mitigate the the severe unfunniness of the two cartoons, it does not to the point where either of them is actually funny. The only plausible explanation is you’re easily amused.
Please excuse the hijack, Trunk, but what did you decide on the bikram yoga? My husband had been thinking of going to the one in Cockeysville for a few months, but wanted someone else’s opinion.

Oh, totally preliminary stages of thinking right now.

For the time being, I’m just riding my bike a lot. I was thinking that when the weather got colder and the days got shorter, I might look into doing a class per week or so.

I think that that particular day I just had it on my mind, so I queried the board about it.

I remember, and have occasionally quoted without attribution, a Ziggy from many years ago:

Ziggy is lying on a psychiatrist’s couch, and he’s saying, “As inferiority complexes go, mine isn’t much!”

Hal… :eek:

Btw, Hal=ibm
:slight_smile:

Ziggy’s not so funny, but this thread is cracking me up.

Indygirl=Indianapolis. Dang.
I bet Ziggy couldn’ve figured that out in less than three years.

Actually, HAL + 1 (to each letter) = IBM

You’re a quick one. :smiley:

(What did you think Indy was referring to?)

I thought you liked it because it rolls trippingly off the tongue.

When Ziggy is ‘on’, he’s great:

• Walking down the street, he passes a vending machine. No products are visible, but the sign reads, “Support capitalism – deposit 50 cents”.

• He’s in an elevator. There’s a coin slot, and a sign that reads, “Shut the muzak off for five minutes: 25 cents”.

• Ziggy is walking past a calendar that reads: “Monday – this means you!” (I have a friend who’s last name is Monday, and this is his favorite Ziggy)

• A realtor is showing him a house. As Ziggy opens the door, the knob comes off in his hand. The realtor informs him, “Hey, you broke it, you bought it”.

Ever see Ziggy’s Christmas special?

Quite touching, actually.

Ziggy may not always be funny, but you gotta admire the guy. Every day, something strange or disappointing happens to him, but he goes through it. He often says something uplifting. He can go through whatever crap life deals him. He’s the Anti-Charlie Brown. Having a bad day? Ziggy’s is worse- but he doesn’t care. In a perfect world, we’d all be like Ziggy. It’s not the greatest comic out there, but you gotta love the man himself.

True, but that’s a coincidence. HAL stands for “Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer.” No intent to parody IBM.

Obligatory **Seinfeld ** reference:

*PETERMAN: Flash of lightning Elaine I just realized why I like this cartoon so much.

ELAINE: Oh! Do tell sir?

PETERMAN: It’s a Ziggy!

ELAINE: A Ziggy?

PETERMAN: That irreverence, that wit I’d recognize it anywhere. Some charlatan has stolen a Ziggy and passed it off as his own. I can prove it. Quick Elaine, to my archives.*

(no less).

I know the IBM connection was a coincidence, and I never said that was the origin of the name “HAL”. It just had to be pointed out after carnivorousplant’s post.

I think I should point out that the best HAL reference ever is from the Apple Computers Superbowl Commercial a few years ago.

You just see the computer light. HAL is saying, “It isn’t my fault, Dave,…” and then goes on to explain how PCs are so flawed from the start (the implication being that HAL is a PC), then ends with, “Dave. You like your Macintosh more than me, don’t you.”

Sheer gold. Anyone know where to find it online (pref. to be viewed on a Mac)?

Well yeah but…he wasn’t *doing * anything. Now if he were approaching the toaster with a fork…no, wait, better yet (since approaching it with a fork would in fact be something to be warned against) approaching it with a piece of bread…now that would have been funny. As it is it’s just a reference without a context.

Other people have superduper important IBM parodying computers go horribly wrong and cause a major catastrophe. In Ziggy’s everyman life, something as minor as a toaster screws up for no reason and causes him trouble. He’s not trying to get to Jupiter or save the world, he’s trying to read the paper.