Some like it hot

My mother can pick up baked potatoes, just out of the oven, and peel them while holding them in her bare hands. She handles other hot items from the stove in a similarly casual fashion (except for metal pans, etc. that have been in the oven). When it comes to eating dinner, the soup isn’t hot enough unless it’s practically boiling in the bowl on the table. She is simply impervious to the heat - not only does she not feel anything out of the ordinary, she doesn’t get burned either. We joke that she has asbestos woven into her hands and tongue.

Me? I so much as touch the potato in the first 5 minutes after it’s out of the oven & I have a painful burn that takes a day to stop hurting. I’ve also lost track of the number of times I’ve burnt my mouth on the food my mom has served.

How hot can you folks stand it? Please tell me my mom’s the freak and I’m the normal one. :wink:

I know a guy from my hometown that flips meat on a bar-be-cue grill using his bare hands. I don’t think that he or your mother are the norm.

I have seen my dear, sweet, elderly grandmother take a cast iron skillet of fresh baked biscuits out of the oven with her bare hands.

I don’t mess with Granny.

The trick is not minding that it hurts.

Seriously, over many years of cooking a couple of things have happened. First, I think my fingertips really are a bit less sensitive. Second, I have learned exactly how long it takes for the heat to become painful, and can pick up, move, and drop and object before it reaches that stage.

Can’t top Doctor Jackson’s Granny, though. Ow.

I have no doubt that women have a higher tolerance for pain than men do. I have never managed to be able to drink coffee as hot as my mom takes it. I’m a wuss when it comes to burns and I admit it.

This may be TMI, but my SO and I cannot share a shower without one of us being uncomfortable. He likes his showers positively tepid, while I prefer to come out looking like a cherry. I can’t relax in a shower without it being steaming hot. It just doesn’t work the kinks out of my muscles any other way. Too cold, and it makes me more tense than I was before I started.

It’s not just the current SO, either. Every man I’ve ever shared a shower with has whined like I just dropped him in a pot of boiling water and served him up with drawn butter.

I don’t know why, but I keep expecting JDT to stick his head in here. (Um, no pun intended, really.)

You get used to it. After a month or so working in a kitchen I was amazed at how i could pull stuff out of an oven with bare hands and not only not notice the heat but not suffer from it later. As cher3 said a) you become less sensitive to it and b) alot of it is all in the mind.

I like my soup, hot chocolate, and other liquids to be scalding hot. Sure, it burns my tongue, but at the same time it doesn’t even really bother me nor affect me. As for showers, I’m like Drain Bead–if it’s not boiling and turning my skin bright red, then it’s not a real shower. :^)
When I was in Mexico two summers ago, the 120-127 degree heat did not annoy me. In fact, I would walk around outside on the hot pavement with bare feet and think nothing of it. Instead of being in the air-conditioned room during siesta. I’d sit in the nice sunny courtyard.

Frailty, thy name is woman…NOT! :smiley: