Some people do indeed deserve to die.

While I’m sure you’re correct, Esprix, that this attitude of AIDS-chasing is a small minority of the gay community, it’s very disheartening to all of us watching the onslaught of HIV/AIDS around the world. Anything that works against the goal of halting HIV transmission is in an all too real sense, failure. Failure not only for those infected and suffering, but to their entire circle of family and friends directly, and the world at large, indirectly. We all lose. I can only echo your own words, these misquided people have indeed been fooled. Tragically.
:frowning:

Esprix: yes, that was me on Sean Hannity’s radio show today. I’m doing his tv show “Hannity & Colmes” tonight. Thanks for noticing.

(FYI, I don’t mind discussing the topic, but not here in the pit. This topic is too serious and sad to reduce it to a lot of cursing and name calling.)

Uh, Guin, I jump up and down after sex. :smiley:

Not for birth control, though. :wink:

So, would you agree that the Drudge encapsulation of your article went for a sensationalistic aspect which took the concept out of context?

Gee, ask leading questions much? Drudge is the Reader’s Digest of the internet. He links to the source articles he’s headlining, so what’s your beef? Him, or the people with no more than a ten-second attention span?

‘Bcuz u cant git pregirz if ur a virgyn!!’

Um, does anyone here disagree with this sentiment, barring inconvienent science experiments or visitations from the Holy Ghost?

Greg, your wish is my command.

Esprix

Let’s see. On his front page, the only headlines that are all in caps are the bug chasers and a puff piece about American Idol.

I think the article takes data out of context to sensationalize.

I was asking for HIS opinion, as he wrote the full article in question.

Your ride is here. Buh-bye.

Did you even bother to read this?:

or this?:

You’re making an ass out of yourself in this thread, Mockingbird

Haj

Yeah? Well, I just checked his site, and the top headline, all in large font and caps, is Bush’s photo-op today using “Made in China” accurately labelled boxes as a backdrop and changing the slogan to “Made in USA”. Yes, Drudge does have the “bug chaser” headline in caps, but it’s halfway down his page and interspersed with the other headlines. Hardly an attempt to blaze out the headline as the one big attention-getter, is it? As to you asking GregAtlanta for his opinion of the summary piece, your choice of words was leading, and obviously expressed your own pre-formed opinion. This is an open forum, so bite me if I prefer unadulterated views to be expressed, absent your bias.

Ok I wouldn’t say shoot these people, atleast not literally, but they definitely don’t deserve a hug. How come someone who is using up tax dollars, not to mention spreading the disease, is not in someway guilty of a crime? Most child molesters are sick in the head, but you don’t give them hug do you? No, you throw their ass in jail. I don’t care if you get sick on purpose and screw yourself, but if you do it on purpose and waste my money and possibly infect someone I love, then you’re an ass.

Meaning, if it’s your first time having sex, you won’t get pregnant.

I should have phrased it that way instead.

Believe me, there are a LOT of idiots out there when it comes to sex.

I did read it.

And I see massive bias in the way Drudge put this forth.

And I see no fault in my asking about it or being bothered by it.

Most responses from other magazines coming out now are that the sensational claims made in the Rolling Stone article re 25% of gay HIV cases desire to be infected, are mostly full of crap with health service and medical sources interviewed for the article claiming quotes were fabricated or used out of context, and Rolling Stone doing the “We stand behind out article 100% stance” while they figure out what happened.

It looks like this is a very small slice of abberant, disturbed behavior by some gay men which has been puffed up to a Macy’s Parade balloon size to sell magazines.

‘Bug chaser’ AIDS story disputed

Andrew Sullivan

Is Rolling Stone’s HIV Story Wildly Exaggerated?

Mockingbird, you seem like a dick.

Just thought I’d share.

Or, possibly, a hasty and panicked mass recantation who suddenly realize the implications of their own, accurately reported words. I kind of doubt that a major media outlet would go out on a limb with an issue this controversial without being 100% sure of its facts. Sell magazines? Looks to me like they risk losing readers who don’t like hearing the truth.

that should be, “by experts who”

The Advocate is carrying the story as well.

Esprix

Mockingbird trotted out:

Psychologist Walt Odets, in reference to the complex varieties of survivor guilt seen in HIV men, says, “HIV- men tend to be profoundly clinically depressed, anxious, disoriented, hypochondriachal,uncertain about the future, sexually dysfunctional, deeply demoralized and
physically numb.” He goes on to say that many HIV men “abuse alcohol or drugs, and their physicians prescribe them millions of dollars worth of tranquilizers, sleeping pills, anti-depressants and sedatives every year.” Finally, Odets finds that more and more uninfected men now “live in nearly every detail like a dying man - disoriented, piecemeal, and with no assumption of the future.”

And I posit simply this:
Could it be that the lifestyle choice is what causes the above symptoms? The constant nagging realization that sticking one’s member where God never intended actually causes all this death wish mentality? The fact the choice was made against the natural order of procreation, in favor of a futile, futureless lifestyle might be what ultimately sends the gay man in search of this death wish of HIV? Tragedy if this is indeed the case…

I think that the supposed symptoms trotted out by “psychologist Walt Odets” are simply bullshit. If this were the case, why wouldn’t survivor guilt induce the same behavior in non-homosexual males?

If Mockingbird wants to stick with this psychologist’s argument, he (or she?) must realize that he’s stereotyping homosexual males as being afflicted with a uniquely pathological strain of self-destructiveness.