Some Proof that a BJU "Education" isn't Worth Much

[QUOTE=NicePete]
Brings new meaning to the phrase “oral exams”.
[/QUOTE]

If you think you’re being funny and original, you clearly have not seen enough internet porn.

[QUOTE=Voyager]
I totally agree with you, and assume that no one in your church would have a problem voting for an atheist running for office.
[/QUOTE]

I’m a member of my church (obviously) and I have no problem with that.

[QUOTE=elucidator]
First saw the title, thought “A doctorate degree in Advanced Fellatio”? Hanging out with you guys is totally corrupting!
[/QUOTE]

Hey, I started the thread and I thought that the next time I looked at the forum’s thread list!

[QUOTE=BrainGlutton]
Only applies in church.
[/QUOTE]

Which is kind of my point about their point.

[QUOTE=Monty]
Which is kind of my point about their point.
[/QUOTE]

:confused: No it isn’t, Monty.

Just because women are enjoined to keep quiet in church doesn’t mean they are enjoined from preaching and/or evangelizing.

[QUOTE=RTFirefly]
What, you don’t feel that what you have faith in is more important and real than the governments of this world?
[/QUOTE]

It’s not a question of priority. You can separate faith from secular politics in the same way that you can separate faith from science.

I can’t remember Monty ever indicating that a political candidate’s particular faith (or lack thereof) made any difference to how he evaluated them (unless maybe they’re a nazi or something). He’s not guilty of any hypocrisy here.

[QUOTE=NicePete]
Brings new meaning to the phrase “oral exams”.
[/QUOTE]

Not to mention Oral Roberts…

Well, honestly, the woman in the OP is no more crazy than any other ‘single issue’ voter. There are voters on both sides of the aisle who evaluate their voting choice based on abortion, or gun control, or race relations, or whatever.

Single issue voting is, to me, stupid in the extreme. No candidate is all of a piece.

[QUOTE=BrainGlutton]
:confused: No it isn’t, Monty.

Just because women are enjoined to keep quiet in church doesn’t mean they are enjoined from preaching and/or evangelizing.
[/QUOTE]

Wow. Perhaps you should tell some of the fundied out types that little bit. I’ve actually heard them preach that it’s a terrible sin for women to preach.

And, yet again, my point is that whatever “the church” has going on has nothing to do with the government. There’s that whole SOCAS thing we’re supposed to have.

[QUOTE=Monty]
And, yet again, my point is that whatever “the church” has going on has nothing to do with the government. There’s that whole SOCAS thing we’re supposed to have.
[/QUOTE]

Well, we’re talking about people who don’t accept that, aren’t we?

I repeat: The hostility a large number of American Christian conservatives have to Romney just because he is a Mormon is not going to change. Not by 2008. It will take many more years for them to come around to thinking of religious-conservative Mormons as being on the same side as themselves; look at how long it took for conservative Protestants to ally with conservative Catholics.

[QUOTE=Diogenes the Cynic]
It’s not a question of priority. You can separate faith from secular politics in the same way that you can separate faith from science.
[/quote]
No - you can. Doesn’t mean everyone can.

If I believe God is telling me to vote a particular way for a particular reason, do I say, “yassuh, God, you’re Lord of everything,” or do I tell God about SOCAS, and explain to Him that the Constitution of the country I happen to live in has limited His dominion to nongovernmental matters in that country?

It’s not a question of hypocrisy; it’s a question of first principles.

Educate me here, please: doesn’t America’s much-vaunted Constitution guarantee freedom of religion? So why his being a Mormon at all relevant?

[QUOTE=Quartz]
Educate me here, please: doesn’t America’s much-vaunted Constitution guarantee freedom of religion? So why his being a Mormon at all relevant?
[/QUOTE]

Because people can vote for whatever reasons seem good to them.