Somebody help a poor dieter!

So here’s the deal. I realized that I’d been living on soda and chips for years (high-stress dot-com job’ll do it to you every time) and I thought it had become a compulsion to eat them as opposed to a need.

So I decided to stop eating chips and soda (and other snacks)(and incidentally quit the high-stress job) and only eat at mealtimes. I could eat anything I wanted that wasn’t junk (or fast food)(same thing, I guess) as long as it was at mealtimes. The goal wasn’t really weight loss as much as behavior modification. I wanted to choose what I ate, not some compulsion.

So I went and weighed myself at some point when Mrs Chance observed my change in habits. I weighed 275! I hadn’t really been thinking about it before then but now I am.

Over the last month that I’ve altered my eating habits I’m down to 260. I enter my weight in Excel every morning (weighing myself before showering) and have a little graph and everything.

But now that this has turned into a weight-loss routine I find myself less-than-confident that I know what I’m doing. There are about 10 ka-billion different diets out there and I’m not really following any of them.

But am I going about this in the most efficient manner? Is there some advice I could be following?

I’d appreciate some help here…

Actually it sounds like you are doing pretty good. Nothing can beat a well balanced diet and a little exercise. My fiance stopped drinking sodas and just that made a huge diffference. though she was a grumpy without the caffiene. Everyone I know that has tried one of the gimicky diets has gained it all back. Low carbs is all fine and good, but your body will plump up agian in no time.

Eat less, exercise more. As long as you don’t have any medical issues (diabetes, etc) you will likely lose weight. Check with your Dr. for more info, but it sounds like you’re doing things right. Cutting out junk food and fast food makes a HUGE difference. For my attempt at eating better, I’ve been eating half as much starch and double the veggies, but I have blood sugar issues to deal with.

Zette

If it’s working for you, keep at it. I, also, gave up fastfood. I went from 255 to 230. Then I went on a high protein diet. I went from 230 to 205, where I am now. Remember that everybody is different. You’ve found something that works, don’t question it so much.

Well, Clucky and I are arguing about it in another thread.

Frankly, I watched my mother go on every single formal diet that ever came out. And she gained weight on every diet that she ever went on. Including Dr. Atkins. Now she’s very overweight and diabetic.

The average dieter gains 15 pounds in the long run. This is because most formal diets are very restrictive in the number of calories you eat, and that slows your metabolism down and makes you hungry. When you get off of a formal diet, you eat all the things you couldn’t have before and your metabolism is slower so you don’t even burn off what you normally would have before.

You are doing exactly what the book “Feeding on Dreams” tells people to do. Unfortunately, this book is out of print. You are also doing what every behaviorist and nutrionist (that isn’t selling a book) that I’ve ever read recommends.

Soda is alright if you drink the no calorie type. You get used to it. It may cause one to pee too much though. IN that case you have to drink extra water to balance things.

Weight loss is an interesting project but one must learn why they gained so much weight in the first place & if the extra weight is really necessary to take off or not. e.g. A football player can be fat.

But then asking us for information is a bit risky, what would you do if there were complications? Sue us? The best person is still a doctor.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=60966

Above is the thread with Zyada and I sparring over carbs and fat. It might be interesting to see two divergent points of view. Spooje has a good point. I also think people are beginning to realize how bad soda is for you.

Posatyvo said

Says who? I’ve been on the Atkins way of life for almost a year and have done very well. Many people on this diet do really well, if they don’t go over to the dark side of carbs. For the rest of my view, see above link. I’m sure you can’t wait to go look. :slight_smile:

Different things work for different people. If your method is working for you, stick with it!

Personally I tried going “cold turkey” off the crappy food in my diet several times, and every time I tried it I wound up going off the wagon within a month. This time, I’m doing it in steps. First I am giving up sugar. I have been on this phase for a month now and am almost ready to move into phase 2, which is giving up fast food. Right now, in my “no sugar” phase, I have eliminated all processed sugar from my diet. (Or as much as possible, anyway.) I won’t buy fruit juices with added sugar, I use Equal in my coffee, etc. However, I still eat all the crappy junk food I want, as long as it has no sugar.

Next, I will cut out the fast food joints. I will still allow myself to binge on chips and salsa or whatever snacks or crappy foods I want, as long as 1) they don’t contain processed sugar, and 2) they did not come from a fast food restaurant.

Once I have mastered stage 2, I will move on to stage 3 (cutting out unhealthy snack foods, such as chips & salsa, buttered popcorn, and Bagel Bites). I have not yet determined what stage 4 will be, but hopefully once I have managed to cut out sugar, unhealthy snacks, and fast food, I will be well on my way to eating a healthier diet.

At the same time, I am vastly increasing my fruit and vegetable intake, as a way to make up for the crappy sugary snacks I used to fill up on. I am hopeful that this method of slowly cutting out the foods that are bad for me will work, whereas cutting out all bad foods at once never has.

Anyway, I guess my point is what I said earlier, which is, do what works for you. :smiley:

My problem with Atkins is that I feel that any diet that *requires[i/] supplements if followed correctly is suspect. I think that an overall reduction in carbs is probably a good idea for most Americans, but that what’s missing is fruits and vegetables, not meat, dairy and fat.

Interestingly the Mayo clinic site recommends a modified food pyramid diet for weight loss, with the carbohydrate and fruit/vegetable “blocks” in the pyramid reversed. So, overall, consumption of breads, cereals, etc., is somewhat reduced and fruit and vegetable consumption is increased. The recommended amounts of protein and fat stay the same.

Here’s one of many sites critiquing low carb diets:

http://www.cyberdiet.com/Mediconsult_Articles_Nutrition/high_pro_low_carb.html
I think the idea of carbohydrate management mentioned at the end of the article is especially interesting. What low carb diets have going for them is appetite control, and carbohydrate management seems like a good way to achieve this without sacrificing your health in the long term.

As I’ve said before, I’ve lost about 60 lbs on Atkins’ in 1998 and have been maintaining the loss for over a year. Anyone that goes on a temporary diet to lose weight, then goes back to their old way of eating after they lose the weight, is going to gain the weight back. I’ve heard “I went of the diet and I gained the weight back.” Gee, who could have predicted that? :rolleyes: If you don’t make a permanent lifestyle change, the weight loss will not be permanent.

Not an entirely horrible article, Cher3.I have a few contentions, some of which I’ve covered already. I will take issue with some other items:

Here, the author’s lumped every low-carb diet together. They vary, and Atkins, IMHO, is the best. Where is the evidence of long-term risks concerning Atkins? The author says these diets rely on testimonials for support, but then doesn’t substantiate his (her?) contention with studies. Most so-called experts just reiterate what they’ve been told by other so-called experts. Pretty soon, something’s been said so often that it’s believed without any real evidence.

Mild dehydration? Much of this diet is predicated on drinking lots and lots of water. This feeling can be attributed to withdrawal from carbs, sugar and/or caffeine. (Atkins suggests ceasing caffeine consumption.)

Listen, you can find a million articles against Atkins and low-carb diets on the Web. Generally, they’re written by nutritionists who learned one way of eating and can’t see any other point of view. At least this author acknowledges carbs need to be watched. And, you can eat lean protein foods on this diet. You don’t have to eat really fatty meats, if you have a problem with them. I don’t. I eat the fattiest meat I can find, and I don’t gain a pound.

Also, Cher3, I don’t share your concern about vitamin consumption. I think supplements are fine and will continue to believe so until someone proves otherwise.

Losing weight comes up as a topic about once or twice a week here on the message board. One would think they could search as there really isn’t much new to say.

to reinforce what porcupine said from someone who’s been on Atkins for 6-7 yrs - any diet will fail if you return to eating the way you ate before the diet.

supplements are needed due to overprocessing of foods - almost any diet would recomend them but fewer require them. Americans are being told to eat less and less meat and to eat more and more carbs and fruit that has been genetically engineered to contain more sugar and starchy vegatables - and is getting fatter all the time.