Somebody help me.

Bonk’s favorite movie is ‘frek’. He’s two, and for all of you who don’t speak two-year-old, he’s talking about Shrek. It’s all he wants to see for the past week.

He wakes up, turns over, sticks his finger where fingers are not supposed to be stuck (especially when they’re not stuck in your own nose or mouth or eye) and says:
“I wan Frek”

All the way down the stairs:
“frekfrekfrekfrekfrek”

To the livingroom in singsong:
“FREK, frek, FREK, frek, FR E E E EK!!!”

While my bleary eyes attempt to push the right buttons to get this thing going:
“Mama! Frek? wan frek!”

The Pina Colada song is now my permanent sound track. It used to be different for all times of the day: walking up the stairs to the surface in a crowd, ‘moo,Moo,MOO,moo’; passing some construction site 'Bob, the builder…"; crushed into the train on the way home, ‘we all live in a yellow submarine’. But no —now it’s all “if you like pina colada” all day all the time— on the train, in the rest room, at the lunch table, on the phone.

I get my coffee in the morning and ask for three sugars, but put two fingers up and say “Two, m’lord”

It’s affecting my ability to work. I keep bursting out in fits of laughter. I button my coat in the afternoon and pipe up “not my buttons, not my gumdrop buttons!” When someone mentions how cold it is I say in a really terrible accent “Layerrrrrs! You have to dress in layers to stay warm!” I go in to Photoshop to adjust stuff, and I’m blurting out “Layerrrrrrs! Like an ooonion” They had birthday cake for this month’s birthdays, it was a layer cake. What do I say? “Onions have layers.”

Somebody help. Please?

An important word for every parent to master around this stage of development is “no.”

Diversion tactics are in order. Get another movie. Get the kid hooked on something else. A toy, a game, a book, something! Otherwise, you’ll go nuts. Oh, and…aren’t you glad his name isn’t “Shruk?” You’d REALLY have your hands full!

Baby Kate did that for a long time when she was 18 months to 2 years or so.

We combatted it by introducing other movies and cartoons into her life. Now there’s a selection. And she knows that since there’s a choice we have veto power over any specific one at any time.

Buy Lilo and Stitch. It’ll take you at least 3-4 days to get sick of that one. Good Elvis songs, too.

Mother of a 4 year old here. It’ll pass and Shrek is a lot better than Bob the Builder or something. Just ride it out.

Understood.
Also to be understood is “Pick your battles.” This is not one I want to fight (especially not at quarter to 7 when I need to get ready for work). Plus, he’ll burn himself out of it in a week or so.

Thanks guys, we’ve already been through lilo and stitch, but my standby is usually goonies or labyrinth if I feel like putting my foot down. Shrek is a good movie, but it just seems to have gotten stuck in my head for some reason.

PS. The Bob the Builder CD is for when they’re having a meltdown in the car.

This is just the start of lifelong interests (at least he’s interested in something!).

Your catchphrase count will go through the roof when he discovers ‘The Princess Bride’.*

You will get over 10 hours of peace once he is old enough to watch ‘The Lord of the Rings’ extended DVD set.**

My parents used to phone the local library at weekends and ask the librarians to tell the bespectacled boy in the chess section to come home, because his dinner was ready.

“My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. prepare to die.” ***

Can’t wait for it myself!

“Vizzini: Inconceivable.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means, what you think it means.”

Inigo Montoya: Who are you?
Westley: No one of consequence.
Inigo Montoya: I must know.
Westley: Get used to disappointment.

Westley: Give us the gate key.
Yellin: I have no gate key.
Inigo Montoya: Fezzik, tear his arms off.
Yellin: Oh, you mean this gate key.

Westley: There’s a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. 'Twould be a pity to damage yours.

The Grandfather: When I was your age, television was called, “books.”

I am seriously considering cutting off the plug for my TV and VCR when I get around to having young children. Either that, or not telling them about the relationship between tapes and VCRs.

“No son, it’s just a boring picture book. One picture, right there on the front. Here, let me put it up very high on this shelf for you.”

When my Perfect Child[sup]TM[/sup] was little, her absolute favorite tape at one point was Tubby the Tuba - and old B&W cartoon on a cheap tape I picked up one day. Then she shifted into The Little Mermaid nonstop for weeks. The only one I put my foot down about was her Christmas tape. We recorded all the animated holiday specials on a single tape. The rule was she couldn’t watch it before Halloween or after my birthday (Jan 23)

She’s 17 now and she still (jokingly) asks if she can watch her Christmas video.

Oh, you can say that now, but just wait until the magic moment that you realize you could answer your emails without little hands pushing the buttons on the keyboard; or you realize that you could actually prepare lunch without a two-year-old in the kitchen with you, trying to bathe the cat in the sink. . .or any number of other things for which 30 minutes of pre-occupation is just what your little one needs. Then you’ll be thankful he/she knows about the VCR/Tape connection. :slight_smile:

Could be worse…it could be The Wiggles

I have a three year old boy and a two year old boy. They’re tv obsessed. Well, kid movie obsessed really. When they’re not asking for “Icky-o” (Pinnochio) or “Yion” (“Lion”, they mean the wizard of oz) it’s “I wanna watch Toy Story again!” Yeah, Toy Story will be on 7 times straight each day here…

two year old girl, not boy, sorry.

I plan on using duct tape, earplugs, and a backpack :smiley:

LilMiss was ill a few weeks ago. Did nothing but lay on the couch.
And watched Monsters Inc.
Again and again and again.

We both know the movie verbatim. shudder

BUT! At least it isn’t the Mary Kate and Ashley in London one. Rented it for a week, watched it about 8 times. (insert barfy smilie here)

That’s all well and good for securing the keyboard in the backpack (and what you’re going to do with the earplugs I’d love to know…), but what are you going to use to prevent your toddler from getting at the PC?:smiley:

The horror.:o

Ah, miamouse. I understand. There, there.

Littlepoet went through a Babe kick. For MONTHS, that’s all he watched. It was a good movie, I like the little pig, and I got a lot of work done while he stood, mesmerized, in front of the tv.

So my advice is: Take advantage of the chance to do housework, read a book, eat bonbons, whatever it is we mothers do when we run out of “real” stuff to do. (Heh.) As Casey said, at least it’s not the Wiggles. <shudder>

I believe I have you beat. You see, I know that you are supposed to put two fingers up and say “Three, m’lord”.

rookie. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: