Someone help me with ST:DS9 timeline

I’m a fan of TOS and TNG but have only caught this series occasionally since it went into syndication.

Anyway, when did Worf become a regular cast member of DS9? DS9 started in 1991 and TNG didn’t end until 1994 so it couldn’t have been before that. I saw an episode of DS9 where Worf and O’Brien were talking about the Enterprise-D being gone so this must have been right after Generations. Is this when Worf joined DS9 as a regular cast member?

At the begining of First Contact Worf is in command of the Defiant and Riker mentions something to him about, “all that time you spent on DS9”. So Worf was on DS9 between the first two Next Generation films?

At first I didn’t much care for DS9 but it kind of grows on you. Definitely seems to have hit its stride when Sisko ‘reversed’ his hair. :smiley:

Deep Space Nine ran from 1993 to 1999. TNG ended its run at the end of DS9’s second season, and Generations was during DS9’s third season.

After the events in Generations, Worf took a leave from Starfleet, but was coaxed back by Captain Sisko, who was concerned with Klingon Aggression against the Cardassian Union. This was at the start of DS9’s fourth season (1995 to 1996 our time – 2372 in Star Trek). After the House of Mogh was dissolved by Chancellor Gowron, Worf had little choice but to remain in Starfleet, and Sisko got him to accept a position on Deep Space Nine.

Worf was on Deep Space Nine from 2372 to 2375, when he was appointed Federation Ambassador to the Klingon Empire. He twice took leave of his duties at the station, once in 2373 to lead the Defiant into the battle with the Borg (Star Trek: First Contact), and then for some stupid reason that was never explained in 2375 to shoehorn him into Star trek: Insurrection. Which was dumb, because there they had a movie, in the middle of the Dominion War – and it wasn’t even about the @*&#%!^ war!

Kirk

While I’ve got your ear, perhaps you could give me a quick Deep Space 9 for Dummies.
[ul][li]Are the Cardassians good guys or villians?[/li][li]Who are the Maquis? Are they good or bad?[/li][li]Who or what is the Dominion? Are they good or bad?[/li][li]Who are the Founders? Good or bad?[/li][/ul]Thanks.

Cardies: Both, depending on the season. Range from oppressors to oppressed.

Maquis: Federation citizens who dislike the peice with the Cardies. Either good or bad, depending on the episode.

Dominion and Founders: Bad to the core. Galaxy spanning empire based in the Gamma Quadrant, Founders (Odo’s people!) at the top, their genetically engineered…slaves, for want of a better word, the Vorta and Jem’Hadar in the middle, everyone else at the bottom. Event their supposed allies.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Hail Ants *
**While I’ve got your ear, perhaps you could give me a quick Deep Space 9 for Dummies.
[list][li]Are the Cardassians good guys or villians?[/li][/quote]

In Seasons I, II and III the Cardassians were recurring villains, because they wanted Terok Nor (Deep Space Nine) back and the Wormhole. They were also hostile to the newly-independent Bajor, which had for 50 years been a Cardassian occupied territory.

In Season IV, there was a coup, and a civilian government took over Cardassia. This event led to the Klingon attack of the Cardassian Union, and the Federation responded by rescuing the Detapa Council (?), the Cardie leadership.

In Seasons IV and V, the Federation was on friendly terms with the civilian-led Cardassian government, and helped defend their territory from the Klingons. Tensions between the Cardassians and Bajor also eased.

Towards the end of Season V (2373), the Cardassians had suffered major losses to the Klingons, and Gul Dukat, former prefect of Terok Nor and former military advisor to the Detapa Council, forged an alliance with the Dominion. The civilian government was overthrown, and Dukat was installed as dictator, though somewhat under the perview of Vorta Adminstrator Weyoun.

A cold war immediately developed between the Cardassian-Dominion alliance and the Federation, which lasted for a few months. Bajor signed a non-aggression treaty with Cardassia in late 2373, and by the end of Season V, a full on war had developed between the Federation-Klingon Alliance and the Cardassian-Dominion alliance.

The Cardassians, along with the rest of the Dominion, became bad guys throughout Season VI, during which the Romulans entered the war on the side of the Federation. Gul Dukat was captured by Federation forces during the Second Battle of Deep Space Nine in early 2374, and was succeeded by Gul Damar, an easily-controlled alcoholic.

During Season VII, the war proceeded badly for the Cardassian-Dominion union, and tensions grew betwen Damar and Weyoun. Damar had Weyoun killed at least once (but of course, there was always another clone, those pesky Vorta). When the Dominion brought the Breen into their fold to add muscle to their forces, Damar realized that the Cardassians were being squeezed out, and he turned on the Dominion.

So now the Cardassians were both bad guys, for under their new leader Legate Broca they’re still on the Dominion’s side. But now Damar’s got his rebellion Cardies, too, so they’re also good guys.

The Federation sent aid to Damar, and after his insurrection endangers the Founder on Cardassia finds this out, she decided to eliminate all the Cardassians on Cardassia. This causes an uprising throughout the Union, and in the last episode the Cardassians joined the Federation, all their forces turning on the Dominion, and defeating them. But during the process, 800 million Cardassians are killed.

So as you can see, they changed sides a lot.

[quote]
[li]Who are the Maquis? Are they good or bad?[/li][/quote]

The Maquis were former Starfleet officers who lived on planets that, by the Federation-Cardassian Treaty of 2370, were transferred to Cardassian control. The Cardassians did not treat thier new citizens well, and almost immediately they rebelled, and formed an underground force to free their worlds. They were viewed as being terrorists by both the Federation and the Cardassians. They were wiped out by the Dominion in 2273-2274. Good riddance.

There were some Maquis on Voyager, but I really hated that show.

[quote]
[li]Who or what is the Dominion? Are they good or bad?[/li][/quote]

The Dominion was a collection of alien races from the Gamma Quadrant. Almost an anti-Federation. They are ruled by the Founders, administrated by the Vorta, and protected by the Jem’Hadar. There are countless other species that are members of the Dominion, including, for a period of time, both the Cardassians and the Breen. They were, ostensibly, evil. Seeking to instill order in the galaxy, they used military force to subjugate and assimilate those around them.

The Dominion first learned of the Wormhole and the Federation in 2270, and in that same year destroyed all the Bajoran colonies in the Gamma Quadrant, and the USS Olympus. From 2271 to 2273 the Dominion attempted to undermine the Alpha Quadrant by infiltrating Starfleet and the Klingon Defense Force, and using the coup on Cardassia as impetus to push these two nations into war. When this war fizzled, they overthrew the Cardassian government, installed a series of all-but-puppet leaders, and waged direct war on the Federation.

For a period in 2274, the Dominion controlled Terok Nor (Deep Space Nine). At that point, they were trying to remove a minefield from the mouth of the Wormhole, as their supplies of Ketricel White, required to control the violent Jem’Hadar, were running low. They succeeded in clearing the mines, but the Prophets of Bajor interceded, blocking any Dominion re-inforcements from the Gamma Quardant. Eventually they found that the Sona were able to produce the drug, and procured supplies from them.

The Dominion lost the war in the Battle of Cardassia, near the end of 2275, directly prior to the ‘death’ of Captain Sisko. However, the Dominion continues to exist in the Gamma Quadrant.

[quote]
[li]Who are the Founders? Good or bad?**[/li][/QUOTE]

The Founders are a race of shapeshifters who founded the Dominion. After centuries of being hunted by Solids, the Changelings decided the only way they could be safe was to control those who hunted them. They genetically engineered the Vorta to help them run the Dominion, rarely taking active role in the leadership of their nation.

In the early 24th century the Foudners sent out infants into space, to explore. One of these was Constable Odo. The Female Changeling who led the Dominion’s efforts in the Alpha Quadrant was mainly focused on luring Odo back to the Great Link – the joint consciouness of the Changeling people when they mix together in liquid form.

Section 31 of Starfleet infected the Great Link with a genocidal virus in 2271 using Odo as a carrier. To end the Dominion-Federation War, Starfleet provided the Founders with a cure to this plague. Odo delivered it personally to the Changeling homeworld, merging with the Great Link, perhaps permanently.

God I’m a dork…

Kirk

Meh. It’s just a poor rip-off of Babylon5, anyway.

Not really. There are plot similarities, yes. But mostly in the initial seasons. And the two series developed to have extremely different tones. I loved them both, though DS9 was by far the more polished production, and B5 had a lot more spunk.

Deep Space Nine is, to me, the ultimate Star Trek. It took EVERYTHING (except the Borg and Q) from all the previous shows and movies, and molded it into one hell of a show. The backstory and plot weaved by Deep Space Nine towers over everything ever attempted in any of the other shows. That’s partly because of the advantage of staying in one place – what they do this week has to effect what happens next week. They can’t just fly away (though they did at the end of Season 6… but Sisko left his baseball).

It was, at some level, a soap opera, with convuluted love stories and schemes within schemes. But it gave us three unmatched villains in the Trek canon: Weyoun (particularly Weyoun 5), Kai Winn and Gul Dukat. Plus it brought back some cool Classic Trek stuff: tribbles, the Mirror Universe and Kor, Koloth and Kang!

Kirk

I will second everything Kirkland just said, except it was the USS Odessey, not the USS Olympus. And its captain was Alan Oppenheimer from Murphy Brown (perfectly cast, btw).

But DS9 rules, the last scene of “A Call to Arms” was the best!

Maquis is the name of the French resistance in WWII.

Let us not forget that DS9 gave us Garak, who responds to the female changling comment “That was the last Weyoun Clone (you just killed)” with “I was hoping you’d say that.”

^:)^

Yay, another gay DS9er!

Say what?

Well, actually, in DS:9, Sisko’s wife had been killed by the Borg at Wolf 359, and Q was in an episode, so even they were included.

Q:“You…you hit me! Picard never hit me!”

Sisko “I’m not Picard.”

Yeah, I have to agree that DS9 was my favorite Trek series. It had one thing that has always been avoided in Star Trek: an ongoing story arc! Things that happened in one episode could affect events 10 episodes or a whole season later.

Granted, it took four seasons to really hit its stride, and it took the addition of Worf and the deletion of Sisko’s hair to make it happen, but what a show! The Dominion War was probably the most exciting thing that Star Trek has ever done…fleets of 600 starships meeting in battle…starships dogfighting…Federation fighter craft(!) taking out a Cardassian cruiser…General Martok just being General Martok…Worf, captured by the Dominion and used as a hand-to-hand combat training aid, and killing every Jem’Hadar that faces him…Ensign Nog, Ferengi war hero…and the most touching episode any Star Trek series ever even attempted, with Jake Sisko growing old after watching his dad die and being obsessed with fixing it because he’s not quite dead after all.

The last couple of seasons of DS9 were incredible. Time travel episodes were kept to a minimum, and when used were done well (and I loved the Forrest Gumped episode with the Tribbles and Kirk, and the guys from the Office of Temporal Affairs). TrekTech Doubletalk didn’t save the day all the time. Klingons became characters instead of cardboard cut-out bad guys.

All in all, it was a very well done series, and was not a “bad copy” of B5 or any other SciFi project involving a space station. B5 and DS9 both had some elements in common (hard to avoid, really) but were both completely distinct from each other and each had a completely unique “feel” to it.

Yeah, but they weren’t really used. Both groups eventually were revived, raped and ruined by Voyager.

…I just had a vision of someone trying to rape Q…

To add to what Kilt-Wearin’ Man said:

Quark, and even moreso, Rom & Nog: these guys took the Ferengi, whom TNG tried to pass off as the new Big Bads (when that failed, mainly relegated them into comic relief) and made them into interesting and fun characters. Rom went from a total doofus into a competent engineer, a loving husband and father (he married Leeta, the hottest Dabo girl on the station!) and eventually ended up as the new Grand Nagus! Nog was a rotten kid who eventually decided he wanted to do something with his life and actually managed to get into Starfleet, enduring prejudice and life-threatening injuries. Quark was more of a ‘typical’ Ferengi, but his concealed affection for the DS9 crew shined through more often than not, mostly in his friendship with Dax.

Julian Bashir: In the early episodes, he seemed to be bit of a nerd and a buffoon, albeit an intelligent and competent doctor. In Season 5 (I think) we find out that he was recipient, at the age of five, of (illegal) genetic resequencing, giving him enhanced mental abilities. So all of his somewhat foolish mannerisms in the earlier seasons was ‘Clark Kenting’; after his secret is out, he seems a much more stable, confident character.

Jake Sisko: Not a Wesley Crusher, Super Genius brat, Jake pretty much forged his own identity right away. I applauded when he announced that he didn’t want to follow in his father’s footsteps as a Starfleet officer. His dream of being a writer made him the focus of two excellent DS9 episodes: “The Visitor” and “Nor The Battle to the Strong.”

Jake’s writing was also featured in “The Muse”.

DS9 also had the most beautiful Star Trek babe ever!

Sure, Marina Sirtis is pretty. And Seven of Nine and T’Pol are cute (in a weird sort of way). And I’ve liked Kate Nelligan since Mrs. Columbo.

But Terry Farrell!! Who cares if she’s really a slug!

They not only didn’t like the PEACE but hated being a Piece of the Cardies.

Sorry I couldn’t resist (This coupon intitles you to one free swipe at any grammer or spelling errors I make in the next six months)
I have to say of all the later series Deep Space Nine is still afavorite. There are so many STNG episodes I can no longer watch and Voyager had too many that were painful from the first viewing. I still will accidentally tune into a DS9 episode and watch it right through to the end. I liked the characters and the darker mood. I don’t know why this show gets such a bad wrap in some circles.

Probably another ga–

No, I don’t want to go there. :smiley: