Something about Funeral posts.

As long as you promise never to do it again-Cross your heart and hope to die.

Understood - will not happen again I assure you.

Thanks for understanding how a newcomer like me can get ahead of himself and cause confusion and irritation to longtime board veterans like yourself even when the best intentions were in play.

LOL - you dopers are a funny lot. Compared to other boards the level of intelligence and clever word play is outstanding here. Glad to be here and will resolve to pay more attention to the rules in the future.

Thanks czar!

Just stick with the one Ask Me thread, Coffinman.

Trying to juggle all those others is a big undertaking.
mmm

and how- thanks Mr. Mustard

Indeed, it would be a grave mistake - and probably none of us here are less likely to make one of them than CoffinMan.

Not necessarily ------- he could be from West Virginia. :wink:

I had a death in the family today and while browsing forums (fora?), I kept thinking “Is this just selective perception or are there an unbelievable amount of threads about death, funerals, and coffins??”

I learned a LOT at a very appropriate time! I have never agreed with the zombie rule–I think reviving zombies can be fascinating & educational, but I understand the rationale of TPTB.

I knew a pathology resident who was married to a mortician.

Had to wonder what their dinner table conversation was like.

I am sorry to hear about the death in your family. You have my condolences and offer to help in any way you need, if even just to confirm or check on something you were told by your funeral home. Please feel free to DM me.

I cannot imagine how you and your family must feel right now. I hope you find some comfort today and in the days to come.

lI dunno. In less than 100 years, each and every one of us will be dead. That’s a mere ~140,000,000th the age of our universe. Most, if not all of us will be at the mercy of a funeral director, like CoffinMan, when we shed our mortal coil.

I suggest we don’t piss off funeral directors, lest we risk having our interred bodies desecrated for all of eternity.

…personally, I don’t want to spend eternity face-painted like Bozo the Clown. YMMV.

…just busting your chops, CoffinMan; I’m sure you’re professional.

No worries - I get it.

Many families will generously tip the burial staff at the cemetery out of a fear that the burial crew will do a poor job or desecrate the grave if the family does not pay tribute. Though I can assure you that the cemetery staff I have worked with in the past are consummate professionals that will do good job whether or not you thank them, many families still will take this extra step.

As for funeral directors, most will do the same job whether or not the family pisses us off. I can say that it is often that the family behaves poorly towards us, however we understand that it is a difficult time for them and that grief often will cause someone to react in a manner which they wouldn’t usually if everything was going well.

And to clarify: The owner of my mortuary has directed all of us on staff here that we are not to accept tips. In those situations when a family forces one on us or when it will cause offense to the family if we refuse it, these funds are collected and donated to local charities.

How do you know that? There are thousands of accounts here, not everyone is over 40 years of age.

Minimum age to join and post here is 13. In 99.9999 years, the youngest possible poster now will be going on 113. The odds of living past 113 approach one in a billion (range from 1 in 150 million to 1 in 800 million, depending on which actuarial tables you use). So while not absolutely certain, the chances of one of those lucky 113+ year olds being a poster at this moment on the SDMB are far less than than one in a billion. So I’d take that bet.

I would take that bet, too, since Qadgop is an M.D. I’d trust anything medical he has to say. If it has to do with life expectancy, a doctor and a mortician both would have perfect insight. :smiley:

Another thing is that thread bumps are much better when you have something new to add. The few I checked out, you were basically just agreeing with the general sentiment of the thread (that the bad behavior was bad).

So, for future reference, if you do bump an older thread, make sure you have new information. I used to do a much lesser version of this, where I would bump a few week-old threads that I missed the first time, and people would get mad at me, since they didn’t think I had anything new to add.

Anyways, I do appreciate you being here, and read through the AMA thread with a lot of interest. And I’d be interested in knowing what other interests you have, too.

Well, yeah. Who else’s tongue would be in her cheek?

I’m not answering that.