Something I don’t like about Jeopardy

That’s exactly what happens. If B answers incorrectly after A has answered incorrectly, and they later determine that A’s answer should have been correct, B will get the lost money back. This has happened many times. They won’t take away money from a subsequent correct answer, but they will restore money for a subsequent incorrect answer.

I had the same issue with that question as the OP. It’s true, you can’t generally correct yourself after Alex has ruled you incorrect. But in this case, Alex didn’t actually rule him incorrect right away. He just did that little hissing intake of breath that he often does when someone gives an answer that is almost, but not quite, right. He didn’t actually say the word “No” until after Ryan had already begun his correction. Normally, it should have been accepted.

It turned out to be ultimately a moot point, since Ryan won the game anyway, but it was a bit inconsistent.

I never noticed this before but you are right. I live in a world full of petty annoyances and you’ve given me one more. I suppose thanks are in order.

It’s when one live person and one dead person vote in the same election.

You’ve picked your username well!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the first scenario happen, but yeah, I think that’s the correct way to handle it. Again, no one should be penalized for giving a correct response when it’s allowed. What purpose would that serve?

With the second, I’m surprised such things don’t happen more often, considering the pace at which the game is played. That’s why there’s a panel of judges who review everything during commercial breaks.

One of the things that I don’t like about the correction is control of the board goes to Contestant B who got it right after Contestant A was initially deemed wrong.

Usually not a big deal, unless Contestant B picks a Daily Double for the next clue.

I can’t cite specific examples when this happened, but it is likely that has happened.

Most days, Alex likes to point out the contestant in last place has control of the board going into Double Jeopardy. the implication is that is an advantage to the last place player which gets an eyeroll from me (unless he is goes Daily Double Hunting by picking a clue from one of the middle rows).

No one would be penalized; it would serve the purpose of correcting the game score, as far as is possible. Since they never should have been allowed an opportunity to answer, the money they were awarded for their correct answer should be taken back. It’s not that they would be penalized anything, they just wouldn’t be awarded anything.

Interesting slip from Trebek just now. In a category on classic songs, a contestant said “You Lost That Loving Feeling” rather than “You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling”. Trebek called it wrong (they’re strict on titles), but he didn’t give the other contestants the chance to ring in and give the correct response.

It was the last clue before the first commercial break, so perhaps no one rang in and it was edited.

While I grant that I haven’t watched Jeopardy in a while, and it could be Alex is getting crankier, I have seen him be patient with someone who is having trouble spitting the words out. If someone said, for example, “Who is Abrock Obama-- I mean, Barack Obama,” Alex would give it to them. I have occasionally seen someone say something nonsensical, but suggestive of the answer, and Alex stand there silently, waiting to see it they would correct, and until the buzzer rang, not rule them wrong.

If I were a judge, I could see how saying “Abrock Obama” is a completely different thing from saying “Gerald Ford.” Especially since ordinary people who know they are going to be on national TV are a lot more nervous than usual.

This is why I have never tried out for Jeopardy. I’d stand there going “Ab-bab-bab…” until I got an electric shock from the buzzer after it got soaked from my sweat.

On a show taped before mine, someone gave a correct answer judged incorrect, and then later caught. No on answered after. After they figured it out they did a complex bit of score adjusting, none of which showed up on the show as aired - and I was watching. I didn’t keep close track of the scores, though.

I think there is a lot of editing. They edited out part of my interview (thank Og) and on Wheel they edit out pauses to think, since contestants sometimes spin way too quickly. Must be fun making everything fit.

I haven’t watched Jeopardy in years - it is less fun without the fantasy of being on.

The nerves go away after you’ve been sitting in the green room for hours and hours. And the millions watching aren’t there, only the studio audience. I guess if you freeze up in front of an audience it could be bad, but I bet they producers can see problems during the tryout.

Taking away points/money previously awarded in error, when the person they were awarded to committed no foul in relation to those points/money, would be seen (at least by some) as unfair. E.g. “It was the scorekeepers’ fault for awarding that, so it should stand”.

I do see that it could skew the fair outcome of the game though.

Who are these fucking activist judges whose decisions are final? I didn’t vote for 'em!

Back-to-back episodes of The Governor and J.J. on meTV.

Jeezus, Alex fucked Ryan again. This time was able to re-wind and watch it again. Ryan clearly was into the revised answer when Alex said no. Alex went on chastise Ryan. Ugh. Alex needs to stop allowing his personal feeling get in the shows way.

Rule from jeopardy.com:

I’m not happy.

Also, if I see a $2000 question (choosing the maximum as my example for clarity) and am unsure, I let it go. If one of my rivals rings in and gets it, fine, he earned it. If both my rivals get $2000, I have fallen a total of $4000 behind on one $2000 question that I did not touch, and that shouldn’t happen.

On the other hand, if Player B (I am Player C, and the one who was ruled wrong then right is A) is credited with the $2000, it may well affect his decisions to ring in, or not, on borderline am-I-sure? cases, so to have the $2000 deducted only several questions later is also unfair. They try not to interrupt play except when extremely necessary, because for one thing they are shooting five games a day, and we don’t all have the stamina we once did.

It’s a tough question, but I favor only one player receiving points for a given question. Otherwise, it’s like the National Hockey League.

Also, I am too lazy to look it up, but the player who lost last week due to the THIS/HIS fiasco will return on a future show, while Ryan of this week is a returnee from several months ago, because he was negged for “Great Schism” when Alex said it was just a regular schism, but it actually WAS the great one, or at least, one of the great ones.

It could be an advantage if the player is an expert on one of the categories and gets to choose where to start. Otherwise, that category may languish while the others ignore it.

Doesn’t change my feelings about Trebek - he comes across as an arrogant jerk. The only reason I see the show is because my spousal unit controls the remote.

Always has been, and has only gotten worse over the years. A smug, patronizing (especially to the “very bright” “young ladies”), insufferable braggart. As good as Jeopardy is, it would be even better with a new host.

And we agree that he definitely wronged Ryan that second time.

What if C answers incorrectly and loses money? Should they have their money refunded, as they wouldn’t have been able to get the question wrong?