something to think about

Here’s a little thought experiment for you.

1. Think of the famous person you most admire. Doesn’t matter who it is, just think of the most awesome famous person you can think of. Got it? Cool.
  2. Now think of that person exactly one year before anyone had heard of them. There they are, just one year away from making it to the world stage.
  3. Now ask yourself : are they awesome now? Do they have all the attributes that make them awesome already? Do you still admire them, one year before they get famous?
  4. If the answer is yes, then ask yourself this one question : what makes you so different? Sure, right now, you might be working at a crummy McJob and hating your life and feeling like you’ll never make your mark upon the world. But your hero probably thought the same thing before they made it big, and look how wrong they were.

So when life is getting you down, think about your hero. Think about how they felt before they made it big. And most importantly, remember this about your hero :

Even before they were famous, THEY WERE ALREADY AWESOME.

So take heart. Even if your life sucks right now, you might already be awesome, and the world just hasn’t noticed yet.

And you might be just one year away from the recognition you deserve!
(xposted from my LJ)

You’re entitled to your opinion, of course, but I’m not a fan of unique snowflake type upliftment messages. Creates false expectations and feelings of entitlement.

The fact is, most people (myself included) are simply not awesome. We’re mundane and normal, and our average daily life is rather boring. Aside from a few generations of loved ones (if we’re lucky), we’ll be forgotten when we die. Sorry.

Personally, I feel people are not awesome until they accomplish awesome things, at least when you’re talking about leaving your mark on the world.

Missed the edit window, sorry.

I didn’t really mean to be depressing. But the thing is, you won’t ever be happy unless you can be content with and find happiness in your average, simple life and small circle of loved ones. Because that’s probably all you’re going to get.

Yeah, I can’t get behind this. Your logic seems to be:

1. All famous people were once not famous
  2. Therefore, all not famous people can become famous.

It doesn’t flow.

1. All cats are mammals.
  2. Therefore, all mammals are cats.

However, so as not to shit everywhere, this part is worth hanging onto:

Your hero wasn’t always hero material - they had to work at it. They are probably not much more gifted than anyone else, they just worked at it. Your heroes are only human, after all.

Except for superheroes.

Damn. I’m only one or two steps away from grand awesomeness myself. Now if only I could figure out how to achieve the grand-awesomeness factor!

And likely got a hefty dose of good luck.

I didn’t interpret the OP to mean that these famous and awesome people just had something wonderful and famous-making fall into their laps one day out of the blue. Of course they had to work at whatever it was that made them famous, and possibly have a dose of luck too.

Personally, I liked the OP - OK it’s glurge, but a rare piece of glurge that I like! :slight_smile:

Disagree here. With a few exceptions (cough Paris Hilton cough), most people who are “famous” are so because they exhibit some sort of exceptional skill or aptitude. It’s not the lotto.

Does its logic leave something to be desired? Sure. But damn it, it made me feel good. It made me happy. I’m hanging on to that.

Hostile Dialect,
Hostile Dialect, Narcissist

That was the idea. Glad it helped someone out.

And for all you negative types, let me extend the logic just a bit more :

What if someone traveled back in time and prevented your hero from ever becoming famous? They’d still be awesome, right? Even if the world never noticed them. Einstein never rising above patent clerk would still have been a brilliant man, and a profoundly wise and humble soul.

So take heart, folks. Dream big and never stop trying. Fall in love with yourself all over again, and reach for the stars.

And remember… logic is only a tool of the mind. The best one there is, mind you… but not the only one. :slight_smile:

Your OP made me think about this;

“We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of the universe. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We were born to manifest the glory of the universe that is within us all. And, as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” —Nelson Mandella.

That quote was not from Nelson Mandela. It’s from a poem written by Marianne Williamson. Source.

Awesomeness, as defined in your OP, requires two ingredients. If you are missing even one of them, you’ll never be famous. You need to have lots of talent and you have to be willing to work very, very hard. There are loads of people out there who are talented, even very talented, but most of them aren’t willing to work very hard. They think that their talent should be enough. A year before they became awesome, they were grinding it out while their peers were fucking off and just doing enough to get by.

I was having a real difficult time thinking of some one famous that I truly admire.

Admittedly, my mind was stuck on Hollywood celeb types.

Nope, luck has a huge amount to do with it. The best ice hockey players are born at the start of the year, Bill Gates being 21 at the start of the computer revolution made it easier for him than being 45 at the same point… a small change in circumstances can make the difference between the stratosphere and the middle of the road.

For every super-talent there are 100 people just as smart, or fast, or clever, who simply missed the boat for whatever reason.

Hard work, natural talent and determination all play a role for sure, but sometimes you also need to be in the right place at the right time.

It isn’t the lotto?

I thought it essentially was the lotto, only in this lotto, connections can get you closer to winning.

Look at Paris Hilton.

Sure, she was born an attractive socialite. That said, she parlayed that into making way more money with her reality shows and guest appearances than she had in her trust.

Wow. That’s an awesome quote. My considerable respect for the man just went up a big notch.

I’ve held the belief for a very long time that everybody has the right to be proud of what is trul great about themselves, and to hell with how that makes anyone else feel. As long as you’re bringing yourself up without bringing anyone else down, then their jealousy is their own problem.

Let your light SHINE! And help others find theirs, and let it shine too, for all the world to see. And we could fill this world with light.

Seriously, it’s not a Mandela quote. I even cited my source in my previous post. Hello? Is this thing on? taps microphone

Did you hear something?

Musta been the wind… :wink:

AFAICT, Paris Hilton is famous for being famous. She adds nothing to world re the OP’s intent (she’s not a hero, at least I hope not!).
I think we have some circular reasoning going on here: if this famous person never became famous, we’d never know about him or her so we couldn’t analyze and decide what attributes made them succeed/famous, right?