Song ID...Paul has played it on Letterman

Shaffer and his CBS Orchestra have played this song many times before. I dunno if they’ve played it recently, but I know I’ve seen it in the last few months. I know some of you guys must have seen this too.

The band will play like any other song, but then Paul will step away from his keyboards, and he’ll start singin into a mic that’s out on the stage. He’s very emotional throughout. Then, someone will come wrap him in a cape and take him away, only for Paul to run back to the mic and finish the song (which, IIRC, was originally done by James Brown). My questions:

Is Paul covering a song (I’m thinking it may actually be a James Brown cover), or is this original?

If it actually is a cover, what’s it called?

The song is by Blood, Sweat and Tears and is called (I think), “I Love You More Than You’ll Ever Know.”

He’s imitating some extremely famous concert footage of James Brown falling down screaming, being helped offstage, running back to sing some more, etc. I’m sure someone will come along to identify where/when this was shot.

By the way, they do this on Fridays, and the person who comes out always turns out to be some famous “surprise” cameo. John Goodman’s done it a few times, among others. I think it’s a pretty good gag.

He’s imitating some extremely famous concert footage of James Brown falling down screaming, being helped offstage, running back to sing some more, etc. I’m sure someone will come along to identify where/when this was shot.

By the way, they do this on Fridays, and the person who comes out always turns out to be some famous “surprise” cameo. John Goodman’s done it a few times, among others. I think it’s a pretty good gag.