Songs About Single Works of Art

Two of my favorite songs in the world are Vincent(which one might reasonably assume is called Starry, Starry Night) by Don McLean and Painting by Chagall by the Weepies.

Both are inspired by single identifiable paintings. Are there any other good ones?

I think there is at least one song about the Mona Lisa

King Crimson: The Night Watch

There’s an entire musical about A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte

Does Bette Davis Eyes count?

Just Like Romeo and Juliet

Mussorsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition?

In the rock-pop world, I seem to remember a deep cut by some early 70s prog rock band about a painting – Yes? King Crimson? Moody Blues? It’ll come to me.

The Pogues - The Wake of the Medusa inspired by the painting by Theodore Gericault.

“Killing Me Softly (With His Song)” was inspired by Don McLean’s “Empty Chairs”.

Tom Waits, “Chocolate Jesus” – about a (chocolate) sculpture by Richard Manderson (maybe)

“La Sagrada Familia” by the Alan Parsons Project, about the church by that name designed by Antonio Gaudi

Peter Hammill: The Lie (Bernini’s St. Theresa)

Here are two websites with lists of songs about works of art:

https://bop.fm/p/LH2f

The tracks on Tales of Mystery and Imagination are all inspired by specific Poe stories as well.

“Rene And Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After The War” by Paul Simon. It’s about this photograph.

Pictures of Lily by the Who is about nude photos that may be considered works of art.

Television sang about the Venus de Milo.

Iron Maiden has a few of these. “Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner,” based off of Coleridge’s poem, “Murders in the Rue Morgue,” based off of Poe, “To Tame a Land” is about Frank Herbert’s Dune. Others I’m forgetting, I’m sure.

ETA: Sorry, was “works of art” meant to refer only to paintings?

Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Deep Blue Something

“Tribute” by Tenacious D is about the band playing the best song in the world (thought to be “Stairway to Heaven”) to prevent their souls from being eaten by a demon.