Songs, poems, other "short" works made into movies?

And for that matter, there is an extensive American Short Story series of Videos, though Emily was not one of them.

There’s also a feature length version of Richard Connell’s story “The Most Dangerous Game.”

As I recall, that song was written specifically for the movie; the movie wasn’t created from the song.

Am I missing a joke? Field of Dreams was based on W.P. Kinsellas novel Shoeless Joe.

I thought John Hughes wrote Vacation out of whole cloth - I am loathe to admit that I used to be a big NatLamp reader, and don’t recall any short pieces that might be a source for Vacation – Although O.C. and Stiggs started out as short stories (By Chris Miller, IIRC,) in the mag. The movie was pretty watered down-- “What? No one was sexually abused with live lobsters? I want my $3.00 back!”

Enemy Mine – wasn’t that based on Ancient, My Enemy?
[Spends a nerdy few minutes digging through my sci-fi anthologies.]
Argh, I can’t find it. I might be thinking of the source for the Star Trek episode Arena in which Kirk gets marooned with that corny lizard guy. Everything runs together. The upside is, I found some forgotten gems. Whoohoo!

My only offering is the Hammer film, The Raven although it’s a bit of a cheat since it doesn’t really resemble Poe’s poem in any significant way.

There are too many movies based on short stories to list, but I can’t resist mentioning the excellent film, The Dead, based on the story in James Joyce’s Dubliners. (I wonder how many people went to see it expecting flesh-eating zombies?)

ISTR a series of tv movies based on the song “The Gambler”, by Kenny Rogers, in which he starred.

Yep, as well as one based on “The Coward of the County.”

There was also a movie based on Vicki Lawrence’s single hit song, “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia.”

Sorry, I retract it. I was thinking of Kinsella’s short story Shoeless Joe Jackson Comes to Iowa, out of which the novel was sprouted.

I can’t give you the name of the author, but I can tell you that the original story preceded the movie by several years, was reprinted in NatLamp coincident to the release of the film, was set in the late 1950’s, had Disneyland (not Wally World) as the destination, and featured a harrowing trip through a military firing range during a live-shelling exercise (the movie was the poorer for its removal, IMHO, and Christie Brinkley didn’t compensate for its loss – although if we’d gotten a full frontal shot I might have felt otherwise :wink: ).

Well, once again, I’m becoming unsure of myself. imdb has the story for Enemy, Mine being written by Barry Longyear, but I can’t find that title on Barnes and Noble’s website (Border’s site is down as I type this). OTOH Ancient, My Enemy lists as a novel by Gordon R. Dirkson, but without a plot sysnopsis. So, I can’t say for certain that Dirkson’s work wasn’t re-published under the other title as a movie tie-in. But I CAN say for certain that the Star Trek episode was based on a short story, titled The Arena. I first read this story in The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, which puts it in the pre-Hugos era. Sorry, I can’t recall the author. As you say, it does all tend to run together.

Stephen King’s “Paranoid: A Chant” has been made into a short film.

Deathrace 2000 is based (rather loosely) on a 3-page story by Ib Melchior called “The Racer”.

The movie Total Recall is very roughly based on a decent short story called “We Can Remember for You Wholesale,” by Phillip K. Dick.

The movie Enemy Mine (no comma) comes from the novella of the same name written by Barry Longyear. The novella “Enemy Mine” appears in a recent anthology titled Nebula Award-Winning Novellas (ed. Martin Greenberg).

From the IMDB, about the movie “A.I.”:

This would also explain some of the more, well, “Weird-Ass” elements of the film.

And, as I recall, “The Stolen Child” was used fpr the movie because Yeats felt unloved by his mother (Hint, hint).

Ranchoth

“Bicentennial Man” was a short story by Asimov, but the movie destroyed any deep meaning or quality found in the story so it doesn’t really count.

Dammit, Ranchoth, you beat me to it. I was going to mention Aldis’s story.

… I’ve typed out a reply to this thread about Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery, but I think I’ll put that in its own thread.

Stanley Kubrik’s 2001

inspired by The Sentinel (short story by Arthur C. Clarke)

1 An occurence at owl creek bridge…ambrose peirce
2 pull my daisy…Allen Ginsberg, jack kerouac (ugh)
3 Less gentle than the locust and a few other Bukowski stories mostly in france
4 Into the Night Life…Henry miller

** Jesus Christ Superstar ** Short section of Bible on last week of Jesus’s life made into musical.

** CATS ** the stage show and video was based on a small book of T. S. Eliot’s poems. I figured I’d mention that if you’ve spent the last 21 years with your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears…in a cave…on Mars.

The Charge of the Light Brigade (from Alfred Lord Tennyson poem)
In the Bedroom (adapted from short story Killings)
It Happened One Night (adapted from short story Night Bus)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (adapted from short story Sobbin’ Women)
Sleepy Hollow (from Washington Irving short story)
Sling Blade (adapted from short film Some Folks Call It a Sling Blade)
Stagecoach (adapted from short story Stage to Lordsburg)
12 Monkeys (adapted from the French short film La Jetée)

And that’s Ambrose Bierce, OBT

Didn’t see any mention of Patricia Highsmith’s short story “The Talented Mr. Ripley.”

This is the one that I first thought of from the OP, because the original story is about five pages long, IIRC.

As for Vacation it was originally Vacation '58 and was written by John Hughes as a writer for the National Lampoon. The short story was great, in that one the father shoots Walt Disney in the leg and ends up in prison. Much darker than the film.

Here, I found a link to the original Vacation story.