Songs that eulogize other artists?

Listening to the new Ben Folds CD, Songs for Silverman (Off-topic: Does anyone understand the title? I don’t), he has a song called “Late,” that at least partially eulogizes Elliott Smith:

This got me to thinking…are there any other examples of this? I know that P Diddy (or whatever the hell it is he’s calling himself now) did this when he remade The Police’s “Every Breath You Take” to be about Notorious B.I.G.

The perhaps undisputed king of the genre, American Pie. Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valenz and The Big Bopper.
The original Candle in the Wind. Marilyn Monroe.
Another Elton John song, Empty Garden I think it’s called. John Lennon.

Well, there’s always “Rock 'N Roll Heaven”, cause you know they’ve got a hell of a band…

“American Pie” was about “the day the music died”, which is a reference to the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper.

If painters count, “Vincent” by Don McLean is one of the best eulogies ever.

Yep. There have been several for Lennon, including McCartney’s “Here Today” and Harrison’s “All Those Years Ago.”

The Commodores’ “Night Shift” eulogizes Marvin Gaye and Jackie Wilson.

Oddly enough, the first song I thought of was Garden Party, which was Ricky Nelsons kiss off to his former teeny-bopper self.

Dave Pegg’s “Song for Sandy” [Denny].

Leonard Cohen’s “Chelsea Hotel” is a rather seedy reminiscence of Janis Joplin, while Frank Zappa went so far as to make fun of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Mama Cass, and Keith Moon in “We’re Turning Again.”

I think there was a song on REM’s album Monster that eulogized Kurt Cobain. I dont’ remember which one though, I don’t like that album much.

The Who mentions “Old T-Rex” in “You Better You Bet” off the Face Dances album, recorded (IIRC) in 1980. Since Marc Bolan had died in '77, this could be a eulogy, or a drunken longing.

Bruce Cockburn’s “Closer To The Light” (for singer/songwriter Mark Heard)

Lindsey Buckingham’s “D. W. Suite” (for Beach Boy Dennis Wilson)

“Let Me In”. Not a great album overall, but there are more than a couple songs on it worth listening to, IMO (including this one).

My personal favorite is Jim Carroll’s People Who Died. Awesome song.

“Rick James” by Jude has a repeated line throughout the song about “Rick James was the original Superfreak…” although that’s not what the song seems to be about. I think he was telling people not to be posers or something. Great funk song, apparantly the only hit the guy ever made, according to my room mate.

Agreed on that. I should give it a listen because it does have some decent songs.

Neil Young’s The Needle and the Damage Done about bandmate Danny Whitten.

Red Hot Chili Pepper’s Knock Me Down about the death of Hillel Slovak, who died of an overdose.

Not really a euology, but Our Lady Peace’s song “Innocent” mentions John Lennon and Kurt Cobain in a way that is sort of eulogy like.

“Oh, Johnny wishes he was famous
Spends his time alone in the basement
With Lennon and Cobain A guitar and a stereo
while he wishes he could escape this
it all seems so contagious
Not to be yourself and faceless
In a song that has no soul”

Neil Young’s **Sleeps with Angels ** about Kurt Cobain.

How can one forget it Don McLean was who was “Killing Me Softly With His Song”

“Man on the Moon” is R.E.M’s eulogy to Andy Kaufman

Over on the country side, there are a bunch. Country tends to name check a lot, anyway. Who knows how many tributes there are to Hank Williams, Sr.? (A bunch of them by Hank, Jr. alone).

My favorite is Alan Jackson’s Midnight in Montgomery.

Chorus: