Songs that give you chills

I’m working on burning a CD of songs that give me chills. What are some that seem to get to you? I found it interesting that so many of the ones I could think of have a Latin flair and none of the songs are relatively recent. There hasn’t really been a thread grouping these songs since 01 so I am hoping new ones have come out but I just can’t think of them.

Ghost Riders in the Sky
Tennessee Stud (Johnny Cash)
El Paso
Last Kiss (Pearl Jam)
Highwayman
Pancho and Lefty
7 Spanish Angels
The Long Black Veil
Kawliga
Closer (NIN)

Still the One (too many bad memories)
Rosalita (when Springsteen sings “The record company, Rosie, just gave me a big advance,” I can fell and share all the joy.)

“Street Hassle” by Lou Reed. It still gets to me.

Cats In The Cradle by Harry Chapin
Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks

Both of these were very popular when I was a kid, and they still make the armhairs stand at attention.

She Moved Through The Fair, Loreena McKennitt’s version. I can’t spell McKennitt. Anyway, chills… Shivery, delightful, sorrowful chills.

Hmmmmmmm I thought you wanted songs that are eerie on their own without the song having any special significance for the listener. Anyway, my vote goes for
Carly Simon’s “The Three Of Us In The Dark” (on her “Come Upstairs” album from 1980).
It’s well worth a listen. A few of the lines are not sung but whispered in her ultra-sultry voice. This song evokes the feeling of a cool, windy autumn night (at least to me anyway).

Not to hijack but is anyone else familiar with this song?

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by The Band

And while I’m on the subject of the Civil War, **The Battle Hymn of the Republic ** always gives me chills, especially when it’s sung by a good men’s choir.

“Nightmares” Silver Sunshine. (Clicking the link lets you listen to the song on their MySpace page)

“One Hundred Things You Should Have Done in Bed” Snow Patrol

“Recoil” by Ani Ani Difranco (maybe you need to have known someone who had alzheimer’s)

“Just a moment” Nas. It’s not my type of music, normally but…

You’ll never find it, or even the lyrics, unless you buy the CD but “Sister” by Marry Me Jane may be the ceepiest song I’ve heard in the past 5 years. CD’s cheap at Amazon ("…tick") ftr.

I think it was, um, Helen Reddy? Angie Baby.

Creeped me out when I was a kid.

Still does.

I love that song.

Oh! I didn’t think to look on Amanda’s new site. The lyrics to Faithless (yeah, Faithless, not Sister. oops) are actually there.

Run For The Roses (By Dan Fogleburg) can actually bring me to tears ; I always remember seeing it right after the great Secretariat died , made into a special video using film clips of The Big Red Horse from a foal up until a few months before his untimely death . I would give ANYTHING to have a copy of that video . :frowning:

Total Eclipse of the Heart (By Bonnie Tyler) is another one that gives me serious shivers .

“Oh, Thank Heaven for little girls” It’s proly not the kind of chills you’re thinking of though.

[Shudders]

some good ones. And yes, I am really looking for songs that are… moving all on their own, the lyrics the melody, not just because of special meaning to the listener.

I can add:

The Foggy Dew, and Jackie (Sinead O’Conner)
Where did you sleep last night ‘unplugged’, (Nirvana)

Keren Ann - Que n’ ai-je (Album: Nolita)
Air - Le Femme d’argent (Moon Safari)
David Bowie - Life on Mars? (Hunky Dory)
My Bloody Valentine - Lose My Breath (Isn’t Anythin)
Grandaddy - O.K. With My Decay (Sumday)

Sorry about the weird indie crap I have contributed. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m your man- Lenard Cohen

Leonard Cohen- One of Us Cannot Be Wrong

Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door - Bob Dylan
Moanin’ at Midnight - Howlin’ Wolf
Me and a Gun - Tori Amos

I thought of a few more…

The whole 2nd half (or 2nd side if you have an LP) of David Bowie’s Low
by Eurythmics
Moments In Love by Art Of Noise

pretty much every song I’ve yet heard from Jandek

Nutshell- (acoustic version) Alice In Chains
Goodbye Blue Sky- Pink Floyd
In Your Eyes- Peter Gabriel
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own- U2

Not only do they give me chills, but they often put tears in my eyes.

There are several songs that give me chills. (Including links for those who might like to hear the songs for themselves.)

“Harry’s Game” by Clannad

“The Rhythm Thief” by Sparks off their “Lil’ Beethoven” album

“One” the long version, and “The Memory Remains” by Metallica (Hearing Marianne Faithfull sing is poignant.)

“Das Spiel Ist Aus” by Laibach