Songs with actual bars and restaurants in the lyrics?

I was down at the New Amsterdam staring at this yellow-haired girl. Mr. Jones strikes up a conversation with this black- haired flamenco dancer.

There was a bar located at a levee in Don McLean’s hometown. No way to know if that’s what he was thinking of though.

The 21 Club gets a shoutout in both “This Could Be the Start of Something Big” and Cole Porter’s “Down in the Depths (on the 90th Floor)”

The song Looking For Love by Johnny Lee was about Gilley’s Bar in Pasadena, TX. As a matter a fact, the whole movie Urban Cowboy that used it in its soundtrack was based on it. Damn, Debra Winger was pretty hot back in the day.

Cornell’s fight song, “Give my regards to Davy” also qualifies:

*Give my regards to Davy,
Remember me to Teefy Crane,
Tell all the pikers on the Hill
That I’ll be back again.
Tell them of how I busted
Lapping up the high, high ball
We’ll all have drinks at Theodore Zinck’s
When I get back next fall. *

“I took myself down to the Tally-Ho Tavern…” - Silver-Tongued Devil - Kris Kristofferson

“I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel…” - Chelsea Hotel #2 - Leonard Cohen ← I fugre if a bar that only came into existence 8 years after the song (Margarittaville) counts then I can use a hotel :wink:

Zeke

“Put On Your Sunday Clothes” from “Hello Dolly!” has:

We’ll see the shows at Delmonico’s
And we’ll close the town in a whirl
And we won’t come home until we’ve kissed a girl!

^ ^ ^ ^
Mentioned in the OP.

Billy Joel’s “Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song)”: Mama Leone’s.

“Mama Leone left a note on the door. She said, ‘Sonny, move out to the country.’”

“We’ll eat dinner at your favorite Schrafft’s” from London Wainwright III’s “Uptown.”. Schrafft’s was a chain of restaurants in NYC for many years.

The song “Come Up To My Place” from “On The Town” mentions:

• Lindy’s
  • Lüchow’s
  • Reuben’s
  • Roxy’s

The Live at the Sands version of “My Kind of Town” by Frank Sinatra mentions “the jumpin’ Pump Room” in it (at 2:14), which was a famous celebrity-spotting restaurant in the old Ambassador East Hotel (now the Public Chicago Hotel.) It’s also the restaurant that inspired the name of Phil Collins’ No Jacket Required (after Phil was refused entry for not having a proper enough jacket to dine there.)

:smack:

“University Boulevard/New Hampshire Avenue/Tick Tock Liquor/Thunderbird!”

“Tick Tock” is a liquor store near the University of Maryland (where the band went to college) that is notorious for their, um, less-than-rigorous carding policy. Not that that is a rarity for liquor stores in the vicinity of colleges, but I believe Tick Tock’s signature feature is the off-duty cops standing guard who couldn’t care less.

A bar left a note on the door?

Nah, Billy Joel stated in an interview that it was Fontana di Trevi:

Didn’t stop Christiano’s of Syosset, Long Island from claiming this distinction for years.

BTW Superdude, better get your X-Ray Vision checked, I mentioned Elaine’s in Post #4

The Old 97’s song Barrier Reef starts off in a Chicago bar called The Empty Bottle.

Lynrd Skynyrd ran into the gun wielding boyfriend at a place called the Jug which refers to The Little Brown Jug ( now called The Jug Saloon ) a bar in their hometown of Jacksonville, FL.

Oops, the song was Gimme Three Steps

I’m going down to the Dew Drop Inn
See if I can drink enough.

“Play it All Night Long” by Warren Zevon
I’m not sure if this refers to a specific place but there was a Dew Drop Inn in New Orleans.

I was working on a steak the other day
I saw Waddy in the Rattlesnake Cafe
Dressed in black, tossing back a shot of rye
Finding things to do in Denver when you die
“Things To Do In Denver When You’re Dead” by Warren Zevon
I’m pretty sure the Rattlesnake Cafe was an actual place in Denver.

“Psycho Killer” specifically mention CBGB.