Songs with conversations in the background

There’s a very well placed “So Long!” near the end of ‘So Long Frank Lloyd Wright’ by Simon & Garfunkel.

For people that haven’t heard it I should have mentioned that she is singing an entirely different song.

I think (IIRC) the original version of Simon and Garfunkel’s Old Friends was interspersed with conversations with old people in a nursing home.

Meat Loaf’s “Paradish by the Dashboard Light” has a baseball commentary by Phil Rizzuto in the middle of it. Phil denied that he knew what the comentary was being used for when he recorded it. Right :rolleyes:

Pink Floyd’s “Eclipse” has a great ending where a Scottsman says: “There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact, it’s all dark.”

I use this phrase to practice my Scottish burr. I haven’t had the chance to use it yet, but someday, someday…

Close – you’re referring to a separate track, called “Voices of Old People”, just before “Old Friends”.

I was referring to the tracks as they were sequenced on the 1968 album “Bookends”.

I believe that is from Helter Skelter, unless I am mistaken.

The Alan Parsons Project’s “Let’s Talk About Me” starts off with what sounds like Alan Parsons being introduced to the studio musicians.

"Shut Up Shuttin’ Up" by Victor.
The whole song has two women just jabbering away, complaining about their boyfriends, until a guy’s voice starts yelling “shut up, shut up, SHUT UP SHUTTIN UP! DAMN! SHUT UUUUP!”.

“Detroit, Rock City” from the ‘Destroyer’ album by Kiss starts with a news announcer’s voice describing a car crash, then goes into the song from the point of view of the young man killed in the crash.

It also mentions ‘President Ford’ so we can put that one safely in the 70’s camp.

A conversation before the music starts in Patty Griffins “Rain”.

Also, she murmurs something before the music starts in “My Dear Old Friend”, but I’ve never been able to identify what she is saying.

Starship’s ‘We Built This City’.

On air disc jockeys, in the background, are giving weather and traffic reports. I don’t know how many versions were done, maybe one for each state.? I own a San Francisco version, and a NY version.

Whispers from the north…

Rush, The Camera Eye. During the second instrumental break you can hear Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson speaking to each other.

Rush, Witch Hunt. The opening has a long introduction that includes sounds of a mob screaming for blood and bellowing in rage. I once caught an interview with Alex where he says they got the sound by going on the street outside the studio and asking the passersby to act really mad, like someone had outlawed beer.

I was hoping no one remembered that, ya beat me to it.

I followed the Scooter for years, as a player, and as a Yankee announcer.

During a lull in a game, his broadcast booth team mate, Bill White, mentioned that song, and Phil’s voice in it. Phil said he thought it was for a meat loaf sandwich commercial. He just couldn’t figure out what that had to do with baseball. But, he said, his wife made a great meat loaf. I think White near fell out of his seat, laughing.
:smiley:

That’s who I thought of when I saw the title of the cd. They did that a lot. They also used A LOT of samples (especially for a non-hip-hop band.)

If Shakespearian dialogue counts, then add “I am the Walrus” to the list.

Just to note, the “Blisters on my figer’s” quote is indeed from “Helter Skelter”

Bhindi Bhagee by Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros is a conversation between Joe and some guy from New Zeland.
Classic Joe Strummer lyrical nonesense.

Marilyn Manson’s “Para-Noir” from the “Golden age of Grotesque” has a woman talking all the way through it.

“Dirty, Dirty” by Die Trying
“Haunted” by Poe
“Answering Machine” by Green Velvet

If you count just one person speaking in the background you can add “Extremis” by Hal, “Your Cover’s Blown” by Belle & Sebastian “Bonus Track” by Dishwalla(I think) and “Hey Pretty(Drive by remix)” also by Poe.