All Things Must Pass, as performed by Eric Clapton and many of George’s other friends at the Concert For George. Hearing Mr. Harrison’s words sung as if written to give comfort to those very friends (and we fans) after his death, it just tears me up.
John Fogerty’s I Will Walk With You is tough for me. I sang it for my daughter at her graduation party, when she finished college and went off to start a (fabulous) career in a far-away city. The lyrics said what I wanted to say to her (particularly “I’ll never be far from you/this I promise you”), and I can’t hear it without feeling it very strongly. (I couldn’t look at her when I was singing it, or I’d have broken apart completely and made a fool of myself. As it was, I had to choke out some of the lines.)
Paul McCartney’s Here Today (a song he wrote to John after John’s death) gets to me. “Never understood a thing/But we could always sing” . . . Yeah. They certainly could always sing. And the final verse, about John actually still being “here today” because he’s in the songs. Definite goosebump and lump-in-the-throat material.
Others have mentioned Don McLean’s Vincent, and I agree, but his Crossroads is beautifully painful as well as painfully beautiful.
The Allman Brothers In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (written by Dickie Betts) takes me into a pretty deep emotional place, without even knowing the name of the person it was really written for. I guess hearing Duane playing something that mournful and sad and haunting, and knowing he’s gone, just kicks my pedals.
I also agree with others about Warren Zevon, both Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door and Keep Me In Your Heart. How he managed to get through the recording sessions for those, under the circumstances, I can’t imagine.
Not quite in the “breaking into tears” category, but I get major frissons, chills and hair-standing-on-end whenever I hear Rhapsody In Blue, played by Gershwin himself (as released on the CBS recording of the 1925 piano roll, re-recorded from the piano roll on a modern reproducing Steinway, with a small jazz band, as originally intended). Gershwin playing his own music, on a modern instrument, recorded in full stereo with modern studio equipment. Oh my!
And the Ninth Symphony, fourth movement, hits me pretty hard. (Actually, the second movement as well.)