Sad songs

What are the songs that everytime you hear them you get sad or even get to crying?

Kathy Mattea- Where have you been
Reba McIntire- The last one to know

Stuff like that.

Garth Brooks, “Til You Come Back To Me Again”
Still Garth, “The Dance”
Gary Allan, “Greenfields”

Any song about fathers who don’t get to see their daughters grow up for whatever reason, like “In Pictures” by Alabama and I think Travis Tritt has one like that, too.

Billy Joel’s “Goodnight My Angel”

ditto for “Where Have You Been”

also sometimes BJ’s “And So It Goes”
that man just goes straight to my heart…

The first few that come to mind for me are:

[ul]
[li]Dan Seals “Addicted”[/li][li]Red Sovine “Teddy Bear”[/li][li]Pinkard and Bowden “A Christmas Gift”[/li][/ul]

Kricket, great call on “Where Have You Been” I love Kathy Mattea

At the moment, any song on the Smashing Pumpkin’s “Adore” CD.

Silverchair-“Ana’s Song”
Creed- “Whats this life for”
Depeche Mode-“Blasphemous Rumours”
Beatles- “Eleanor Rigby”
Bush-“Glycerine”
Cure- “Lovesong”

I always weep when I hear Freedy Johnston’s “This Perfect World.” It concerns a (fictional) man whose wife is killed in a burglary, so he flips out and abandons his daughter. In the song, he has shown up years later on his grown daughter’s doorstep – he’s dying, and he wants to try to make amends.

Pearl Jam - Last Kiss

Every time that one of these threads comes up, I always say:

“He stopped loving here today” - George Jones

…that should be “her” instead of “here”…

It works either way in the context of the song. :slight_smile: In some Southern US localities, the two words are practically indistinguishable, anyways.

Diane Schuur’s cover of Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry on In Tribute. By the end of the song, you can tell she is crying.

Oh, and Meephead, if I didn’t know that you are a Southerner, those would be fighting words. :slight_smile:

That’s J. Frank Wilson and the Caviliers.
Let’s see–sad song. . . “Suzanne” by Leonard Cohen, but especially the Joan Baez version, really gets to me.

I’ll Stand By You by the Pretenders

It Ain’t Me Babe by Bob Dylan

Perfect Circle by REM

And, though I’m totally non-religious, Amazing Grace.

Taps

“I Do” by Jude
It’s not well known, but it’s a song about a guy invited to his ex-girlfriend’s wedding. He won’t come to the wedding, but he thinks about her, and at the end of the song he sings “there’s only one more wish that I have left for you. I hope you’re smiling when he turns around and says I do.”

“Black” Pearl Jam

Finally, both by the Smiths, “I Know It’s Over” and “There is a Light That Never Goes Out.”

I Will Always Love You-Dolly Parton’s version, fer cry-eye, not Whitney’s.

Hunter-Dido.

Where You Are-Gypsy Soul. Beautiful song about an untimely passing.

Center of Your Will-Twila Paris.

Song for the Dead by Randy Newman. From the POV of a man wandering a military cemetery or former battlefield, it’s a mixture of grief over the waste of war and gratitude for the dead’s sacrifice.
Pardon me, boys, while I slip off my pack
and sit for a while with you.
Like to explain why you fine young men
had to be blown apart to defend this mudhole.
We’d like to express our deep admiration
for your courage under fire
and your willingness to die
for your country, boys.
We won’t forget.
We won’t forget.

And, like Rasa, Amazing Grace gets me every time.

Mary Chapin Carpenter’s Only a Dream. It’s about two sisters growing up and growing apart as the family itself breaks up. Its lyrics are rich and moody, almost like a Tennessee Williams piece.

Bob Dylan’s Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright.

I love **Only a Dream[/]! That whole CD is great. I Am a Town and Come On, Come On have been known to make me misty, too. Both are so wistful.

Whenever I hear Karen Carpenter’s voice, I get misty.