Sad songs

Oh how could I forget. Just heard it, and it reminded me.

Bridge Over Troubled Waters by Simon and Garfunkel

OK, my answer didn’t exactly follow the OP question. Interesting how circumstances can make a song sad. I’m sure that there are Harry Chapin or Jim Croce fans out there who know what I mean. “Touch of Grey” isn’t a sad song, but when Jerry Garcia sang it at his first concert after almost dying in 1986 of a diabetic coma there wasn’t a dry eye in the house at the line “I will survive.”

It doesn’t take a whole lot to get me going. Even a song like “Brandy” makes me sad, you know, she’s walking through a silent town and loves a man who’s not around and all that stuff.

“Rocket Man” by Elton John. My best friend played it twice on the drive up to my new college with me. It was so cheesy, I was laughing through my tears at the whole thing.

“Strawberry Fields Forever”

“America” by Simon and Garfunkel

“Sea and Sand” by The Who

“Feels Like Home,” Bonnie Raitt

“Just Like A Woman,” Bob Dylan

“Waiting on an Angel,” Ben Harper

“Lonely Sinking Feeling,” “Now I Know,” “Lonely Sinking Feeling,” and “Misguided Angel” by the Cowboy Junkies

“She’s Always A Woman,” Billy Joel

“A Case of You,” Jono Mitchell - the first line, “Just before our love got lost…” gets me so teary-eyed.

“The End,” Shakespeare in Love ST

Okay, this one is mighty embarrassing, but “Right Here Waiting” by Richard Marx kills me every time!

Depeche Mode-Somebody
Beborn Beton- Another World
Wolfshiem-Once in a life time
APC-3 libras
NIN-hurt
Rammstein- Wilder Wien
The Cure- Lovesong
VnV nation- Forsaken(vocal version)
Joy Divison-Closer
Mesh-It scares me
Suicide COmmando- Love breeds Suicide
Coil- the 1st five minutes after a violent death

Ooh, Rasa, I’m gonna have to second “Perfect Circle.” “Strawberry Fields” is good, too. In fact, both groups have other songs that get me weepy, too: “Nightswimming” by R.E.M. and “In My Life” by the Beatles. It’s not that they’re particularly sad; I just get choked up by the sentiments expressed in them. Another one that’s caused this reaction recently has been “Tonight We Fly” by The Divine Comedy. Beautiful. And “At Last” by Etta James makes me so content I could cry sometimes.

“Nothing Else Matters” Metallica
“Butterfly Kisses” Bab Carslise (?)

Other than that all my hurting songs I listen to for the catharsis. I don’t ‘quite’ cry…

The end, by the Doors.

My best friend loved that song, and it was in the tape player the night he killed himself.
never listned to it again the same way after that

The saddest songs are often the cheesiest. The ones that get me are Collin Raye’s Love, Me and Bobby Goldsboro’s Honey.

Gotta second “America” by Simon and Garfunkel, chosen by SallySimpson. I love those lines:
“Cathy, I’m lost,” I said, though I knew she was sleeping. “I’m empty and aching and I don’t know why…”

Also another vote for “Eleanor Rigby.”

Oh, and that Eagles song, The Last Resort (closing track on the “Hotel California” album). It’s about people seeking paradise, and in finding it, end up destroying it. That song puts me into a funk every time I hear it.

Wow soccerhooligan now there is someone I miss terribly. I found about his death when my stupid next door neighbor cop yelled out to me from the window, “Hey I heard your leader killed himself with drugs today.”
I looked at my husband and said what the hell is he talking about? My husband just looked at me and said, “I couldn’t tell you, but it was Garcia.”
I will never forget that moment. Thanks for the music Jerry.

“Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right”

Is it too obvious to say that Stella Blue, on cold dark night, can make me cry along with Jerry’s guitar?

But for the sad of the sad without words, the winner by a mile is Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber.
Need a good cry, that you can make your own? This is it!

Beatles- Eleanor Rigby
3EB- Wounded
Eve6- Heres to the Night
Fuel- Hemorrhage (in my hands)
Good Charlotte- Change
Staind- Home
Creed- My Own Prison
Anything by Fingereleven or Glassjaw and most Deftones stuff
Awww…now I’m all misty eyed…:frowning:

When I was 12 or so my mom took me to see George Jones, and I have always cried at He stopped loving her today. When they started playing it he pulled my up on stage. There is nothing like crying in front of a crowd and having your mom take pictures.
I cry at Taps also.
And now Poisons Something to believe in. My brother in law killed himself last May and he was a Vietnam vet who never really made it home in his mind.
Amazing Grace is another, and it’s worse if it is bagpipes. I have no idea why, it just is.

Elenor Rigby is one reason why I asked you guys this question.
I told my husband I wanted to hear the all the lonely people song, so he looked it up and played it.
For some reason I never realised that it was a sad song. Now, my mom was a huge Beatles fans, so I listened to it all the time as a child, just never the words.
So, I called her and asked her about some of the other songs she used to listen to when I was a child.
The next day I called her and told her thanks alot for nothing! They were all sad songs. “well, you used to love them as a child” “That was before I actually listened to them for the words and not just the pretty music”

Seals and Crofts Unborn Child was one of them.

Another one that gets me is Eric Clapton Tears in Heaven. I had a child that got dumped on me by his way too young mom. I loved that child like my own. He was a special needs child and wasn’t expected to live. His father got his shit together and took him, and took wonderful care of him but he died a few months later.

“I Can’t Make You Love Me” Bonnie Raitt

“Better Be Home Soon” Crowded House

“Insensitive” Jann Arden

I’ll always Love You-Dolly Parton

woodstockbirdybird, I’m seconding the “Nightswimming” nomination. That’s such a wonderful song…I cry every time I hear it because of the words and music and because of who recommended it to me.
Other songs that make me cry often:

“Let It Be”-The Beatles
“One”-U2
“Paint It Black” or “As Tears Go By”-The Rolling Stones
“Shimmer” or “Hemorrhage”-Fuel
“Bridge Over Troubled Water” or “I Am a Rock”-Simon and Garfunkel
“Better Man”-Pearl Jam
“Happier”-Guster
“Turn My Head”-Live
“Iris”-Goo Goo Dolls
“Life” or “4 A.M.”-Our Lady Peace
“Kiss Off”-Violent Femmes
“Sour Suite”-Guess Who
“Piano Man”-Billy Joel

Most of these songs I cry not because they’re sad, but because they bring back memories both good and bad.

“Bobby” - Reba McEntire

Have to agree with Brynda / OrcaChow that Come On Come On is excellent. Medea’s Child and I were chatting about that album recently, and the discussion led me to put the CD in my computer… Playing it right now.

Another vote for Taps and “America” by Simon & Garfunkel.

Don McLean’s “Starry Night”.
Louis Armstrong’s “Wonderful World”; not sad, just reminds me how blind I am most times.
I’m not religious, but “Amazing Grace” and the Shaker hymn “Simple Gifts”; make me wish I could believe.
“Teach (Your Children Well)” by CSN&Y; hopeful but weary song, brings back a lot of memories of how hard the 60’s were.

Veb

Allison Krause & Union Station…

pretty much any of their albums would be chock full of sad bluegrass songs…