Songs you would not expect to be played on an acoustic...

…but sound good when you do.

What songs are not usually played acoustic, but are suprisingly good when they are?

I once heard Deep Purple’s “Smoke on the Water” played on a banjo. Much to my astonishment, it sounded great.

Leaving aside a number of issues…

“Layla.”

The first time I heard it acoustic was a WTF? moment, but then I just went with it, and it worked. I heard Jimmy Page play an acoustic, instrumental version of “Stairway To Heaven” once. It, too, worked.

I’m an acoustic girl. Heck, I think that just about everything sounds better unplugged. Except Layla. :slight_smile:

It’s prettier, sure, but all the passion and the the urgency or the original were sucked right out.

Those were the issues I was laying aside.

Pretty tune, but nothing matches the pure, molten angst of the original. Or better yet:

1. ARMS Benefit for Ronnie Lane. The aforementioned Jimmy Page guiter solo. As he launches into those rising chords towards the end of “Stairway”…first phrase - page. Second phrase - Page and Beck. Third phrase - Page, Beck and Clapton. They finished the song together. We went totally apeshit. they gave us maybe 10 seconds of screaming, then kicked straigt into “Layla.” Three guitars. Charlie Watts on drums. Bill Wyman on bass. Extended bridge, as all three Yardbirds take a solo turn.

I win. That was the “Let me die now” moment of my life in music. :smiley:

Stone Temple Pilots, “Plush”.

I did a single act with just me and my trusty Alvarez for years. It always surprised me what an audience would accept on an acoustic. Often it would be something I got several requests for and decided to learn to see how it would fly.
Lawyers Guns and Money, Warren Zevon

The Joker, by Steve Miller

Pink Houses, John Mellancamp

Feelin Alright, Joe Cocker

and a bunch of others

“Goodbye” or whatever that song is by Incubus. I’d never think Incubus would ever do an acoustic song, but it was actually pretty good. Never heard anything I like by them except that acoustic cover.

OK let mr br a little more clear…I am looking for songs that are not usually acoustic that I can convert to acoustic so as to impress my friends and look kewl.

Not necessarily songs you have heard acoustic …

me be

Zombie Nation - Inside the Speaker.
Good luck with that.

Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2. Look for the live version from Sarajevo to hear how it’s done.

That depends on what your friends consider kewl. Are ya thinkin’ Green Day, or Yes, or Who, or what?

I guess it would have to be a recognizable song…not obscure. I want them to hear it, think they know it, the say, “Dude, that’s (insert former rocked out song here)!”

How about Bohemian Rhapsody? There is a transcription for solo guitar here (scroll down to the Queen section). There are also solo transcriptions for Hotel California, American Pie or how about Toccata and Fugue by Bach?

Hmmm, I can’t think of a song that I haven’t heard acoustically, but would still be challenging to do, but would sound nice if it were successful.

So instead I’ll nominate the hardest popular song to make acoustic IMO: Closer by NIN.

Led Zeppelin’s ***Kashmir ** * done on cello is amazing.

…of course, “Closer” would be good on an acoustic drumset, with an acoustic piano accompaniment. I’d like to hear that.

Evanescence has covered Nirvana’s “Heart-Shaped Box” acoustically, and it turned out pretty well.

I would be interested to hear someone give “Man in the Box” a shot.

Try Gin and Juice by Snoop or The Next Episode by Dr. Dre, the lyrics of gangsta rap songs always sound cool acoustic.