Soup to nuts

The Latin expression meaning “from soup to nuts” was ab ovo usque ad mala, “from eggs to apples”.

{ Edit by Board Moderator: the link to the original Mailbag article is http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msoupnut.html }
[Note: This message has been edited by CKDextHavn]

Actually the phrase derives from waiters who used to work in mental institutions and at mealtimes would be serving soup to …

Oh, why do I bother … :wink:

Saint Eutychus
www.disneyshorts.org

It was in the NYT crossword about a week ago, Maybe the tribs. Didn’t get it then, don’t get it now.

Look it’s perfectly simple. What is wrong with you people. Back in the early 19th century formal meals were several hours long, lavish affairs with scores of courses and dozens of servants. The first course served was soup. Thus “From the first course…” = "From soup… " = “From the beginning.” After all the other courses were served the servants would come out and STABALLTHEGUESTSWITHGREATLONGSHINYKNIVES!
“TAKETHATYOUFATSWINE”!
ANDTHROWPLATESANDSLICETHEDINER’SEARSOFF!
“YOUGREATGREEDYGREASYSWINE”…
you’re right Euty they just don’t get it.

Signitorily yours, Mr John
" Pardon me while I have a strange interlude." -Marx

[ Note from CKDextHavn: Mr John’s original note had all that stuff in upper case with no spaces; it was causing scrolling problems, so I have edited in a few spaces in hopes that solves the problem. ]

[Note: This message has been edited by CKDextHavn]

[[Actually the phrase derives from waiters who used to work in mental institutions and at mealtimes would be serving soup to … }} Eutster
Kliban’ll get you for that … :wink: