South Carolina Republican race

And NBC is projecting that Trump has won SC.

No, he dropped out a week or so ago.

I realize practically nobody noticed he had dropped out, because practically nobody took notice of the fact that he was running to begin with. But still.

Ha. Thanks.

No prob. :slight_smile:

I’ve got CNN on and they haven’t called it yet.

Bush is barely better than Kasich. If the numbers hold up, I don’t see how he can continue.

Now they’ve called it, for Trump.

And ABC and AP have joined NBC in calling it for Trump.

And with a mere 1.56% of precincts reporting, Cruz and Rubio are in a dead heat for second, with Rubio leading Cruz by a very mere 13 votes.

5% and Rubio’s up by 2% over Cruz.

AP appears to be declaring Trump the winner in every Congressional district as well, which is strange as two districts have no votes reported in yet, but if that holds up, Trump gets 50 delegates and everybody else gets zero. Even if he wins just the four districts where he has sizable leads, that’s 41-9.

Weirdly, Rubio is doing better in the Upstate - I live in South Carolina - than anywhere else. I’d have thought that was more suited to Cruz.

Where are you getting your numbers from, JC? Most states, the Secretary of State has the official tallies, but that doesn’t seem to be the case for SC. I’ve been relying on TPM so far.

He should wait a bit and see if that holds up. Better to give the victory speech being able to say he swept the State.

That IS weird. I’d have figured the same way, based on my five years in SC, even though my knowledge of the state has accumulated a couple of decades of rust.

It’s early yet. And maybe the influence of Atlanta on the upstate - particularly on the route from Greenville/Spartanburg to ATL - is suburbanizing that sector.

I’m pulling from CNN, RTF.

It’s seesawed and now Cruz is up by a point over Rubio for second.

And now Rubio is up over Cruz 22.5 - 20.5

Big question of the night.

If Bush’s 9% holds up…is that enough for him to stay in the race or does he finally admit defeat and bow out? He had GWB working the state pretty hard this week.

Out.

OTOH if Kasich holds to 9%, especially if he comes out ahead of Bush, he sticks it out.

And truth be told Kasich will have done not significantly to no worse in delegates here than Cruz or Rubio are likely to come away with …

Just popping in to thread drop that time we all laughed at the idea of a Trump campaign. The first page or so is really striking, and at the time, I was in complete agreement. Even a couple of weeks ago, I was convinced Trump was going to crash and burn in juuust a couple more days . . . but if his 30%+ lead in SC holds, he definitely has history on his side. Weird election.

Speaking about laughing about Trump.

Sorry, I need this “I told you so”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Eh, I’m still not too concerned about his chances. I could very well be wrong, but I’m just not. I just don’t see it happening.