Space Shuttle Endeavour's California Flyover & Final Flight,This Thursday Morning

I watched it leave Houston this morning while taking the kids to school.

We saw it a couple of times yesterday, too. The kids and I saw it flying in the morning and my husband watched it land at Ellington AFB a short time later. We considered driving to Ellington last night, but the traffic on all roads leading there was backed up for miles.

I believe they were going to buzz Austin and El Paso on the way to California

I heard on the news this morning that the exact route is not published, probably for security reasons. So, altho they will be doing various flyovers at Moffett, SF, and at the state capitol in Sacramento, they could not say what direction it will be going, nor what area of the sky it will be in as it passes over. A rooftop is probably the best strategy in downtown Sac, as you may not see it well from street level. I am hoping it circles to the east of Sac so we can get a look.

Yes, starting in SoCal, going to NoCal, then back south. I guess tomorrow will be it’s final day in the air.

They just flew over Tucson. Something about a tribute to Gabby Giffords. I don’t live there anymore, so I missed it, but pretty cool.

Her astronaut husband was on the last crew to ride in it.

The Edwards AFB flyby/landing is live on NASA TV right now.

Just watched it fly in, very cool. They looped around over housing and the schools on base before they landed.

A friend in Tucson sent me a picture of it over his house. Cool.

Our turn in Nor Cal tomorrow!

Just got back from watching the flyover in Las Cruces. Here and here are photos. Nothing too spectacular, sure had a good time though!

Too late to edit: I meant the photos aren’t too spectacular- the flyover was awesome!

I found a more detailed description of tomorrow’s flight here:

The flight is taking off from Edwards now.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/
On a side note, the 747 is an amazing aircraft, isn’t it?

Is there a flight plan or a website posting the location of the aircraft near-real time?

I’ve been trying to find one, but as far as I can tell it doesn’t exist.

You can follow it on Twitter at #spottheshuttle, where people are posting updates, and sort of gauge the progress that way…

Thanks; they’ve got amap online for the Bay Area (YMMV). Scroll down–but be aware that the flight path could have changed in the last 24 hours.

NASA TV just came back to a live shot, but they’ve yet to say where they are.

ETA: Kind of looks like Sacramento, but I’m not sure.

That view from the other plane is pretty cool!

Is this a live video feed? It looks too green to be CA.

ETA – Oh, maybe it is greener in the Central Valley.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s live.

Definitely not too green for CA, but I’m questioning now whether it’s live, too. There was a fade shot a couple of minutes ago that then switched to a different angle.

NM