Spanish: England is Inglaterra, but

Holland (Netherlands) is Holanda? Why not Holterra?

England got its name because it was the land of the Angles. I do not think Holland got its name because it was the land of the Hos (even though it does have that reputation now).

In other words, I don’t think the “land” bit of “Holland” actually means land, wheres the “land” bit of “England” (and, indeed, of “Netherlands”) does, and is thus appropriately translated into Spanish as “terra.”

Nevermind. According to Wiki, the “land” bit of “Holland” does mean land (although, disappointingly, it was still not originally the land of the Hos).

Countries or areas ending in “land” are more often translated with “landia” (or “landa”) in Spanish than with “terra”:

Finland: Finlandia
Iceland: Islanda
Thailand: Tailandia
Swaziland: Suazilandia
New Zealand: Nueva Zelanda (or Zelandia)
Ireland: Irlanda
Greenland: Groenlandia
Jutland: Jutlandia

But:
Scotland: Escocia
Switzerland: Suiza

Plus, the particular name “Nederland” (the Netherlands) is translated as “los Países Bajos,” literally the “Low Countries”–which, of course, is another way of saying the “Nether Lands.”

I learned this from watching the World Cup on Univision. :cool:

Well in that case, teh question simply turns around: Why is England Inglaterra?

Why not? :wink: Or, rather, why try to apply logic and consistency to matters like these?

Exactly. Translations of other country names into another language are independent of each other. No one standardizes them.

The same holds in French and Italian too, by the way: Angleterre and Inghilterra.

Actually, the only other place I can think of that’s -land in English and -terra in the Romance languages is Newfoundland (Terre-Neuve, Terranova).

The names came from evolution in and from different languages, it wasn’t a matter of someone saying “oh noes, we have established relations with a new place and can not pronounce the name they give themselves to save our lives! What to do, what to do?” Some of those names evolved from Latin (the -terra ones), others from the “local” name (the -landa/ia names).

Even in English we don’t preserve the “land”. Exhibit A: Deutschland/Germany.

Yes, we have a greater tendency to use Latinate endings than German does. Even for cognate cases (unlike Deutschland/Germany), witness Lettland/Latvia, Russland/Russia, Estland/Estonia, Griechenland/Greece (from Graecia). Or, for that matter, Österreich/Austria.

On the other hand: die Schweiz/Switzerland.

Well, in fact it used to be “That damned island from which the fucking ships who steal all our hard plundered gold come from” but it got changed for brevity and diplomacy’s sake…

Disneyland = Disneylandia !

Because Spaniards and Italians (Inghilterra) got England’s name via French Angleterre. The French were the first to have contacts with England.

Indeed. Fundamentally, the reason for all these language curiosities comes down to the history of the relationships among these different parts of the world, and since the history varies, so does the language.

As someone said above, there was never anyone or anything to synchronize things.

Indeed, Spanish uses “-landia” so much more than “-terra”, hip Mexicans use it to coin somewhat-tongue-in-cheek words that only they will use amongst each other — e.g., “Chilangolandia” = “Mexico City and its environs” (“chilango” = “resident of Mexico City”).

Thus “Yankilandia” (USA) to the eternal fury of southerners :slight_smile:

And “Gringolandia” here as tongue-in-cheek names for certain neighborhoods with high a concentration of expats. :slight_smile:

I find it interesting that – as Colibri points out – the word “Greenland” is translated in Spanish as “Groenlandia”. I would have expected to see “Verdelandia”, since “verde” is Spanish for “green”.