Speed Traps - French Dopers

Seeing as there are already 2 topics concerning France/the French I thought i’d throw in a turd.
Recently the police have just begun using radar speed traps around the Parisian area and from what I can gather it’s the first time that the country install these type of non-manned speed checks that take a photo of your car at speed and send it out to you within 3 days with the fine (between 75 and 90euro).

Now this system is pretty common in some European countries such as Britain for example where since their introduction and with other measures read deaths have dropped by up to 20% in the past 5 years. In France, an average of 18,000 people die each year due to road accidents, a figure that for me is huge when you consider the quality of the cars and the roads (driving abilities is another days question!)

But since their introduction all I hear is people attacking those that thought of the idea saying that their privacy is being impinged upon and that the state is taking too much control over their lives. Are there any French dopers that feel like this?

Is there anyone here against the use of these systems or can see why they shouldn’t be used although they seem to lead to a reduction in road accidents.

Here in the UK speed cameras are, IMHO, mostly revenue collectors. For instance, we have one in my village. It is placed as you leave the village, on a dead straight road, 500 yards from the derestriction signs. This is a typical site for many of these cameras.

If safety was the main issue, it would be more effective to place the camera as you entered the village, ensuring that the traffic slowed at that point, and continued through the village at a resonable speed.

I don’t need a spell-checker I just a new brain.

This is a matter of opinion, so I’ll move this thread to IMHO.

bibliophage
moderator GQ

Those radars have been around France for a while.
I know of many friends and family members who received this nice letter in the mail with a picture of their license plate.
I am surprised. Maybe it’s the first time around Paris?

Bah. Your foreign radar traps are nothing – nothing!, I tell you!

Here in Western Australia, we have a dozen or more PORTABLE speed cameras (“Multanovas”). They roam the roads, hunting for errant drivers who dare break the sacred speed limit. They change positions at least daily, usually more than once a day. They are everywhere!

Multanovas are black and stand on tripods. They’re difficult to spot. They are not manned by police officers, so you can’t be warned by the sight of a marked police car. They’re hidden around bends, at the bottom of hills and behind the occasional bus stop.

There are no warning signs before you pass a Multanova – only a taunting sign (“Thankyou for driving within the speed limit!”) once you have already passed the danger. Multanovas have extremely low tolerance levels; you can be pinged for doing less than 10 km/h over the speed limit (6 mph).

Western Australian drivers live in a state of constant anxiety; we’re consumed with obsessively monitoring our speedos and scanning the side of the road ahead for a hidden speed camera.

Multanovas are revenue raisers through and through. If the intention was to reduce speed, the warning signs would be positioned BEFORE the cameras, not beyond.

Having said that, I have little sympathy for those who get regularly fined for speeding. Avoiding fines (and demerit points) is simple: just stay below the darn speed limit!

I thought that the fact of knowing that there could be a ‘multanova’ around the next corner would be a deterent to speeding? In Ireland we have fixed radar sites and everyone can see them, but you never know which are empty boxes and which are real radars :slight_smile:

Perhaps. But at least in Ireland there is a finite number of sites where one is ready for a potential speed camera. In my home city, one must be aware of one’s speed at every moment. Very few people have the presence of mind not to drift over the speed limit at some stage of their journey.

I’ll second they anxiety that Multanovas instill in Perth drivers. Most people scan ahead on the left hand side of the road looking for white vans or 4wd’s parked/hidden in the bushes along with the normal driving habits. If you see one of the bastard creations, you flash your lights at oncoming traffic to warn them.

I have even deliberately blocked in a driver that was going a bit fast in a flash car, I knew the camera was there so i pulled in front of him and sat on the speed limit, He gesticulated, swore, tailgated, gave me the finger and flashed his lights at me. When we got close to the camera, I stuck my arm out the window and pointed to the side of the road, he got the message and cracked a huge grin, at the next set of lights i got two thumbs up and thankyou. Gotta watch out for a fellow ford driver!!

Jervoise good to see another Perthie on the boards, I’m in Broome for a while but still appreciate the city and make a few trips down there every year.

I’ll second they anxiety that Multanovas instill in Perth drivers. Most people scan ahead on the left hand side of the road looking for white vans or 4wd’s parked/hidden in the bushes along with the normal driving habits. If you see one of the bastard creations, you flash your lights at oncoming traffic to warn them.

I have even deliberately blocked in a driver that was going a bit fast in a flash car, I knew the camera was there so i pulled in front of him and sat on the speed limit, He gesticulated, swore, tailgated, gave me the finger and flashed his lights at me. When we got close to the camera, I stuck my arm out the window and pointed to the side of the road, he got the message and cracked a huge grin, at the next set of lights i got two thumbs up and thankyou. Gotta watch out for a fellow ford driver!!

Jervoise good to see another Perthie on the boards, I’m in Broome for a while but still appreciate the city and make a few trips down there every year.

Speed cameras just mean you spend more time watching your speedo and looking out for speed cameras than you do watching the road, and you are likley to break sharpley with no good reason when you see one and realise you are travelling too fast.

Great saftey measure.

As has already been mentioned, these things are not sited on the roads with the worst accident figures but where people are likley to be caught speeding.

On this theme, My latest car (French) has what I reckon is the best safety feature to be fitted for years - but is not promoted as such!

This is the option to use the cruise control as a speed limiter. You can set the maximum speed you require on the digital display & the vehicle will not exceed that speed, (for safety, a hard stab on the throttle will override the system)

Now, I confess to being a (ex) habitual speedster, rarely keeping to the limits (although I have been driving for 35 years and never had a ticket!). The point is that this was mainly due to the lack of attention of the speedo, and tending to drive to the conditions I thought were safe. It is still very hard to drive for any great distance and not exceed the 30mph limit, unless the car does it for you! Finally it amazes me that I can follow a car in a 30 limit, with him rushing away from the lights, doing 40-45mph in between, (like I used to!) and still catch up with him at the next hold-up.