Speeding tickets effect on employment!

What the hell are those dead kids doing in the middle of the road?

They’re there because User_Name_Here’s company hired someone with a lead foot who ran them over.

The pre-hire background check on our nanny revealed a couple of speeding tickets. No reckless driving or anything at that level of seriousness. We hired her, and her driving has been perfect.

Yeah, I think your buddy just had a better CV than yours. Employers don’t give a rat’s ass about your driving record unless driving is a big part of the job and/or you’re issued a company car.

For example, I’m in East Texas and go out to Little Rock and Lafayette for work, so it makes sense that they want me to have a decent record and full-coverage car insurance. Pretty sure one ticket a year (especially with defensive driving course, which, in TX at least, erases the ticket from your record) wouldn’t get me fired or anybody else not hired at my job. And my job includes a lot of driving – one day last week I was paid for seven hours of driving to do a two-hour job.

It’s much more likely that your friend is either more qualified for the job than you, or they just pulled his CV out of the stack at random.

I’m surprised any company even has the right to check your driving record, unless its criminal of course!! That’s insanity! It’s your personal business (along with the Gov’t of course). However any criminal driving offences naturally become public domain and it should be that way.

I’d tend to agree with the others, you just missed out on a whim. recruitment is a fickle beast sometimes. Especially volume recruitment.

Sometimes it doesn’t come down to much more than luck of the draw, or random intangibles: “This guy put down golf and scuba divining as personal interests! Wow, I also love golf and scuba diving!” and all of a sudden the recruiter favours you in their mind. This stuff really happens. (As long as the candidate is duly qualified, naturally…)