I received the mailnote below from one of my friends. I wondered if you
might know if this story is true or if someone is trying to make a gluteus
out of me?
WARNING-THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!
An article by Dr. Beverly Clark, in the Journal of the United Medical
Association (JUMA), the mystery behind a recent spate of deaths has been
solved. If you haven’t already heard about it in the news, here is what
Three women in Chicago, turned up at hospitals over a 5-day period, all
with the same symptoms. Fever, chills, and vomiting, followed by muscular
collapse, paralysis, and finally, death. There were no outward signs of
trauma. Autopsy results showed toxicity in the blood.
These women did not know each other, and seemed to have nothing in common.
It was discovered, however, that they had all visited the same restaurant
(Big Chappies, at Blare Airport), within days of their deaths. The health
department descended on the restaurant, shutting it down. The food, water,
and air conditioning were all inspected and tested, to no avail.
The big break came when a waitress at the restaurant was rushed to the
hospital with similar symptoms. She told doctors that she had been on
vacation, and had only went to the restaurant to pick up her check. She did
not eat or drink while she was there, but had used the restroom.
That is when one toxicologist, remembering an article he
had read, drove out to the restaurant, went into the restroom, and lifted
toilet seat. Under the seat, out of normal view, was a small spider. The
spider was captured and brought back to the lab, where it was determined to
the South American Blush Spider (arachnius gluteus), so named because
of its reddened flesh color. This spider’s venom is extremely toxic, but
can take several days to take effect. They live in cold, dark, damp,
climates, and toilet rims provide just the right atmosphere.
Several days later a lawyer from Los Angeles showed up at a hospital
emergency room. Before his death, he told the doctor, that he had been away
on business, had taken a flight from New York, changing planes in Chicago,
before returning home. He did not visit Big Chappies while there. He did,
as did all of the other victims, have what was determined to be a puncture
wound, on his right buttock. Investigators discovered that the flight he
was on had
originated in South America. The Civilian Aeronautics Board (CAB) ordered
immediate inspection of the toilets of all flights from South America, and
the Blush spider’s nests on 4 different planes!
It is now believed that these spiders can be anywhere in the country. So
please, before you use a public toilet, lift the seat to check for spiders.
It can save your life! And please pass this on to everyone you care about
Officer Sylvia Steele
Texas A&M International University
5201 University Blvd.
Laredo, Tx 78041-1999
Winstead Sechrest & Minick P.C.
910 Travis Street, Suite 2400
Houston, Texas 77002
Fax: (713) 650-2400