Spider-Man 3 villain cast, but who will he play?

Gotta take issue with th OP.

He’s best* known as Lyle van de Groot, from George of the Jungle.

Come to think of it, Lyle is a persistent little schmuck, and it might actually take Spidey to bring him down once and for all.

[sub]*In my house.[/sub]

That’s my guess as well. I can’t think of any other villain Church would be so well suited to play.

My vote is for the Disc Jockey

I could see him as Fred Foswell, the “Big Man,” who was a minor villain when looked at in terms of Spider-Man’s history, but whose storyline was excellent and could easily be adapted into a movie.

Why not Carnage?

He’s the most blood thirsty of Spidey’s villains IMHO.

Be nice to see Spidey against both Venom and Carnage.

Reeder, again you speak to my soul. Still my mind says that the symbiotes are a bad fit for the film. To much back story baggage to dump for one film and AFAIK this will be Sam Raimi’s last Spider Man film for a while. I think we need to think smaller.

Besides, Kasady was out of his mind nuts not kinda snarky.

It’s funny how everyone assumes nowadays that all special effects are CGI. Doc Oc’s arms were marionetted. Sometimes, the old methods still work well.

I think it wa a mix of marionette and CGI. But yeah, Sam Raimey is big fan of doing things the old-fashioned way. Probably because he cut his teeth filming his father’s car crashing into fruit carts.

In retrospect:

:smack:

I can’t believe I used a smilie. I’ve lost all respect for myself.

Sorry, but if Raimi wants to keep the supervillians vaguely the same as in the comics, Church can’t be Venom. Eddy Brock is Venom, and he was seen as Brock in Spiderman 1, played by R.C. Everbeck.

I’ve heard that Raimi hates Venom. My guess is sandman, but hoping that it’s Kraven. Played as a cunning adversary instead of a total psycho, Kraven could work.

Looks like it’s gonna be the Sandman. I think this is great. Could look very cool.

Well, as Superhero Hype comments:

But it does seem most likely.

Interesting. I don’t suppose he said why? Do you have a link I could read?

Hobgoblin :eek:

You mean besides the fact that the character is a slobbering, one-dimensional cliche whose sole purpose for existing is to pander to prepubescent fanboys?

He wasn’t a character that pandered to fanboys until they decided to make him an anti hero and give him a spinoff comic. :rolleyes:

Before then he was a single minded character who good writers used to push Spider Man. Venom is stronger and way more durable than spider man. The Spider Sense doesn’t work on Venom, and Venom knows Spider Man’s secret identity. Spidey always had to go above and beyond to fight him to a draw. Those were some good comics back in the day.

I’m not a hardcore fan, but I’ve always liked comics and superheros.

One of the evil-types I always associated w/ spidey was Dr. Doom, but his name hasn’t come up once. I’m sure there’s a reason - could someone enlighten me?

For some stupid reason, most medern superhero movies pretend that other superheros doen’t exist. I don’t know why. It would take just two seconds for a superhero in another marvel movie to comment on what bad publicity Spiderman gets. ALternativly, in a movie, you could overhear a radio report on “Another costumed vigilante makes his debut today.” Anyway, the result is that Doom is nolonger considered a Marvel film Villian, but a villian of The Fantastic Four. :rolleyes:

Dr. Doom has always primarily been a Fantastic Four villain. He’ll be appearing in the Fantastic Four movie this July, played by Julian McMahon.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Raimi hated Venom, if only because Venom wasn’t around when Raimi read comics as a kid, which is likely where a lot of his affinity for various characters come from. I do think that Venom can be a very good villain if used correctly, though.

It would’ve been great if they’d been building up an Eddie Brock / Peter Parker rivalry in the first two or three movies and revealed Venom in the third or fourth.

It’d be interesting to see what kind of origin they came up with for him, since they’ve kind of milked the science experiment gone wrong thing.

Ahhh. . . thanks for the answer.

I think I associated Doom w/ Spiderman b/c of the cartoon series, and it may have been the series that also had Iceman and Firestar.

And in an odd confluence of the OP and my question, this site purports to have some info regarding the SM3 villian.

Multiple spies at Sony have confirmed that Thomas Hayden Church will indeed be playing SANDMAN. There’s a ton of Sandman conceptual art all over the Spidey-offices!