Spiderman: The Broadway Musical (Really!)

Maybe others have heard about this, but it is news to me. There is a new Spiderman Broadway musical in the works that has a $40 million budget!
Here is the Hollywood Reporter article.

Spider-Man, with hyphen.

A highly-budgeted musical with U2 and Julie Taymor on board that recently found a new producer after one of the backers went bankrupt and whose lead actress quit at one point? There’s a possibility that this might be good, but the way things are going, I think we might be headed for the biggest Broadway catastrophe since Carrie.

This isn’t the first time the tale of Spider-Man has been set to music: a concept album called Spider-Man: Rock Reflections Of A Superhero was released in 1975, obstensibly performed by Spidey and his Marvel pals themselves.

Heck, it’s not even the first superhero stage musical. It’s a Bird…It’s a Plane…It’s Superman! opened in 1966.
And closed in 1966.

Would you expect nothing less from the team that brought us I and Albert, A Broadway Musical, Bring Back Birdie, Rags, and Dance A Little Closer? With all those flops, it still baffles me that Adams and Strouse still managed to write some of the most memorable songs of all time- mostly from their two successful shows and a hit TV program.

My sister loves Spider-Man and loves vacationing in New York. And she loves Broadway Musicals. She’s gonna get a kick out of this. Hopefully it will last for a little bit.

That’s great and all, but when are they going to do the Captain America musical? They promised us!