Spontaneous (2020) - movie on Amazon Prime and the 2016 book it's based on

Anyone else seen this movie, or read the book?

It’s quite bonkers, as well as endearing, funny, probably horrifying to at least some, and nerve-wracking.

Potential spoilers follow, though I’m not sure you can get to it without being spoiled at least this much, and not everyone should watch this unprepared!

The movie starts with a high school senior exploding in the middle of class, spraying classmates with blood. An investigation finds no evidence of an external source and then it happens again, and again. The movie is really about how these kids deal with this random death sentence over their head, which sort of makes it a surprise how pleasant a movie it is.

Anyone both read the book and seen the movie and able to speak about differences?

I’ve not seen or read it, but I’ll look for it now.

I have it to watch but forgot about it. I only got it because of the presence of Charlie Plummer, who I have liked in several very different movies. And the Metacritic reviews sealed the deal. Thanks for the reminder.

I’d never heard of it, but started watching last night because of this thread. It is stylish and funny, but the kids don’t quite ring true to me, even in parody, as it feels like their jokes were written by baby boomers. For example:

…damnit, never mind. I spoiler text so infrequently that I don’t remember how off the top of my head. Let’s just say that the joke involves a dick pic. Hilarious, but not very believable. (Not that believability is the point, but still.)

I randomly came across the movie a few months ago and enjoyed the rest much more than I thought I would after watching the first 10 minutes. Definitely wasn’t what I was expecting after the intro.

Yes, some of the dialogue doesn’t really ring true for kids, but at the same time it’s about teenagers randomly exploding into bloody gobbets, so I was completely willing to suspend a lot of disbelief.

Seems to me to be a perfectly plausible joke for a nerdy teen who just finished a project on recent American history, but I will claim no real expertise on the topic. And there certainly were bits that stood out to me as “yeah, they didn’t try very hard for realistic dialog right here, did they?”, though I’ve forgotten which ones.

That’s a good point!