Spotting actors from other things in Star Trek.

[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

And the paramour of a certain Canadian prime minister. You go, girl!

Before “Assigment: Earth,” Robert Lansing was Gen Frank Savage in the TV version of 12 O’Clock High. He was let go after just one year because he was difficult to work with (or so I’ve heard). He also did a series called The Man Who Never Was in 1966, which ran for only 18 episodes.

He apparently went on to do lots of guest star roles until he passed away in 1994 at the age of 66, but I recognize very few of them.

Terri Garr I first saw as a cute airline stewardess on It Takes a Thief. This was in 1969, after her appearance in “Assignment: Earth.”

I would say that most of Petty’s big movie roles (Tank Girl, A League of Their Own, Free Willy, Point Break) were before her appearance on Voyager.

Former football player Fred “The Hammer” Williamson made his third dramatic TV appearance in TOS’ “The Cloud Miners.” He would achieve greater recognition for his role as “Spearchucker” Jones in MASH the following year before becoming an icon of '70s blaxsploitation movies and wracking up over 20 credits as producer/director/star.

Abdullah bin al-Hussein, the king of Jordan,appeared as an uncredited extra in the 1996 Star Trek: Voyager episode “Investigations,” back when he was a prince.

Nitpick: The episode was called The Cloud Minders.

Even harder to spot, Mick Fleetwood had a cameo as a fish-faced alien in the TNG episode “Manhunt.”

The source of my screen name, Mr. Atoz, was played by Ian Wolfe. He had a very long acting career, with more than 200 films and 80 television appearances, going back to the 1930s. Before noticing him in Star Trek, I knew him primarily as Mama Carlson’s butler, Hirsch, on WKRP in Cincinnati.

In the '80s, France Nuyen (“Elaan of Troyius”) had a prominent role as a physician in St Elsewhere.

Other women in TOS (Marj Dusay, Arlene Martel, Sabrina Scharf, Antoinette Bower, Barbara Babcock, Marianna Hill) popped up at one time or another in Hogan’s Heroes in addition to being guest stars on many other shows.

I saw that ep not too long ago. No, you can’t recognize him because of the makeup, but you can definitely recognize that gravel-grounding voice.

Nope, too young. She was a love interest for Wesley Crusher (and actor Wil Weaton’s first kiss). Lefler and Crusher were the two last remaining people not to be mind controlled by the “Game”–largely because they were too busy flirting to try it out earlier on, and thus noticed everyone acting strange later.

I don’t remember her in Darmok, an earlier episode, but that makes sense, as she was just a random engineering person, and even had a different name originally in the script. I do not know if they put her in to give a bit continuity for the later episode, or if she just got her start there and it gave her a boost to get the much larger role in “The Game.”

Angelique Pettyjohn went on to… ahem… bigger things. (you can google her yourself!)

Interesting life stories of a couple of actors from TOS-And the Children Shall Lead: Melvin Belli, who played Gorgan, became well known as a celebrity lawyer.

Craig Huxley, who played Tommy Starnes, the oldest kid, was a child actor who had parts in other TV series at the time. He went on to become a musician, and invented the Blaster Beam, which was used in the first ST movie as the “V-Ger sound.” It’s an 18-ft long steel beam with wires strung across the length, like a massive bass guitar. Huxley used cylinders and bomb shell casings to draw across the strings to make the scratchy echo sounds, and hit the strings to make the scary booming sound.

Belli already was a well known celebrity lawyer when he appeared on TOS.

While well known in wrestling, one of Dwayne Johnson’s earliest acting credits was a wrestler alien on Star Trek: Voyager in 2000, predating his breakout role in The Mummy Returns by over a year.

He even was credited under his wrestling name, as simply “The Rock.” I wonder if this was when he caught the acting bug.

He was pretty much the pre-eminent WWE wrestler at this point… and pro wrestling is essentially acting with an athletic component. He was very well known already prior to becoming an official actor.

While I can’t name check any of them, one thing I noticed in the late 1980s was the overlap in bit parts between TNG and LA Law. Frequently I’d notice people appearing in similar roles. Admirals or Ambassadors in TNG would pop up as judges in LAL and vice-versa. John DeLancie popped up in LAL several times as some form of ‘expert witness’. Further solidified with Diana Muldaur having ongoing roles in both - though short-lived - and even Corbin Bernsen appearing as a member of the Q.

I liked her as Master of Disguise Charlie Watkins on Get Smart.

And Mission Impossible. All filmed at Desilu.

A very cost-conscious studio. One episode of MI used the Desliu water tower as a location (carefully framed so the logo wasn’t visible, of course), another used the standing set of Hogan’s Heroes. You’d think people would have noticed that one!

So did many of the men from TOS: John Hoyt, John Crawford, Theodore Marcuse, Hal Lynch, Roger C Carmel, Whit Bissel, Malachi Throne, Bruce Yarnell, James Gregory, Joseph Ruskin, Johnny Haymer, and Charles Napier.

Add Karen Steele, Celeste Yarnall, and Leslie Parrish to the list of women from TOS.

And James B Sikking, not from ***TOS ***but from the movies.

I think that’s everyone…