Spotting Star Trek actors in other programs

Barry “Surak” Atwater as “Lester Workman” in the Hawaii Five-O episode(s) “The Grandstand Play.”

France “Elaan” Nuyen, Jeff “Plasus” Corey, and Bill “McCoy Sr” Quinn in the Hawaii Five-O episode “Highest Castle, Deepest Grave.”

Damn is Hawaii Five-O actually just a extended Star Trek holodeck espisode?

“Book 'im, Spock!”

There is also Colm Meanie who has possibly had (with the exception of Patrick Stewart) the most extensive post-Trek career. Playing both former IRA commander Martin McGuinness:

and England football manager Don Revie:

My favorite scene in The Committments:

I love the look on Meany’s face: “He said that?!?”

A crusty Captain Bob Roberts gets temporary command of Station 51 (“Emergency!”), doesn’t like the Paramedics poking needles in patients, but eventually gets won over by the end of the show. Moves on eventually to Delta Rana IV and just as crusty, giving the Next Generation Enterprise crew a mystery in The Survivors. I saw the latter show recently and said “Hey! The crusty old Captain!” John Anderson was a very busy actor on stage, movies, and television, and could probably stick your hand in the film bucket of his era and pull out a show he was in.

“Spock-o.”

I would advise youse to keep dialing, Oxmyx.

Saw him in a Bonanza ep. awhile back too.

Michael “Dr Corby” Strong as “Grayson” in the Hawaii Five-O episode “Air Cargo–Dial for Murder.”

Lou “Lokai” Antonio as “David Harper” in the Hawaii Five-O episode “The Burning Ice.”

Following the recent passing of James Gunn I decided to do a full watch of the short-lived series “The Immortal”, based on one of his works. For a show aired in 69-70 you’d expect a lot of Trek “alumni”. One episode (Sylvia) featured three: David Brian (John Gill), Glenn Corbett (Zephram Cochrane), and Sherry Jackson (Andrea). Another had two: Michael Strong (Roger Corby) and Marj Dusay (Brain and brain). Stuntman/Actor Frank Orsatti was in this one as well. Lee Meriweather(Losira) and Harry Townes (Archons) each did separate episodes. (As an aside, Townes also did episodes of The Fugitive, The Invaders, and The Incredible Hulk, giving him a “man on the run” quadfecta.)

The series also had a couple of future Trek actors: Rosemary Forsythe and an impossibly young Ed Begley Jr. as “The gas station attendant”.

Michael Strong was in Patton as well.

Before I started watching Five-O this time around, I think the biggest Trek crossover I saw was in reruns of Mission: Impossible.(all seven seasons). This was natural, since both TOS and M:I were produced by Desilu/Paramount on adjacent sound stages.

Back in 1968, Hawaii had very few production facilities, and the Five-O crew started basically from scratch.

Nitpick: it’s “Meaney.”

Correction noted!

BTW, I saw The Commitments immediately after it came out. I would swear Meaney did say “He said that?” with regard to Elvis, but the line is not in that clip. Was it cut, or am I misremembering?

Ken Lynch, the miner in TOS “The Devil in the Dark” as Gangster “Shoemaker” in Peter Gunn, “Hot Money”.

Stanley Adams, Cyrano Jones in “The Trouble With Tribbles” in Peter Gunn, “Sing a Song of Murder”.

Malachi “Commodore Mendez” Throne as “Gambling Czar Bonamo” in the Hawaii Five-O episode “Bait Once, Bait Twice.”

William Shatner in “The Tenth Level”. The Tenth Level (1976) - YouTube Based on the Milgrim experiments. Also features Stephen Macht (General Krim) from the DS9 3-parter.