Spy x Family

Is anybody else watching it?

It’s an anime series based on the manga of the same name about a spy named Lloyd Forger who gets a mission to infiltrate an elite private school. He has to assemble a fake family as cover: A little girl from an orphanage to pose as his daughter, and a woman he barely knows willing to pretend to be his wife.

The twist is that Anya–the girl–can read minds, and Yor–the woman-- is secretly an assassin. Everyone in the impromtu family is keeping secrets from everyone else and they’re all incredibly cute and charming.

The art style draws heavily on 60’s modernism – it’s sooo sleek and stylish – very much like the easy elegance of early James Bond. It’s the best anime I’ve seen in years.

I came across it years ago as a manga and it remains the only series that I’ve purchased a physical copy as I usually prefer reading on the Shonen Jump app. I love this title and the anime has been doing a fantastic job translating it to screen. It’s a fantastic blend of a funny family sitcom, slice of life, wholesomeness, action, spy thriller, and more.

I’ve been able to get my wife to watch it with me and our son and she loves it too. That’s the highest praise the show can get. My wife is excited to watch it every week. The only other show she’s willing to do this is Kagayu-sama Love is War.

My son and daughter have been reading the manga and singing its praises, so when the anime was announced they were eagerly awaiting it! Describing it as “wholesome action” is perfect!

Did you watch Episode 4 yet?

“ELEGANT!!!” or “This isn’t about elegance anymore. These people are just scary.”
My favorite line in the manga was butchered when Anya was describing Loid’s job. “He’s a spy… Spy-chologist.”

Well, the voice actor has to read it as a child tripping over her own tongue and getting the pronunciation wrong in Japanese. And then it depends on how exact the translation is into English for how that sort of thing is represented, manga or anime. I’m sure it’s a much easier thing to write than it is to say.

I preferred the vocal tripping in the manga but I understand that there’s always differences. The manga translator used “spy… spy-chologist” instead of “sp-speshulist in mental health”