St. Louis gathering

Motels? Too bad Coral Courts is gone…

Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars.

If I’m taking the bus, I’d have to leave at something like four in the morning to make a 3:00 meeting. If I can somehow convince my former roommate to drive out (we have a friend in St. Louis who we haven’t seen for ages), it’ll probably be okay, but we’d still have to leave at the butt-crack of dawn.

Either way, Drain. If you wind up taking the bus, lemme know and I’ll pick you up whenever it arrives.

Waste
Flick Lives!

I was thinking a little later, myself. Does, oh, 7:00 sound a little better? I’ll do my duty and let Aura off the hook. He doesn’t have to buy any of my drinks. Feedback?

And the problem with small furry animals
in corners is that, just occasionally,
one of them’s a mongoose.
Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Looks like I may have a ride, after all. Aura, can you do me a favor and list some hotels/motels in the general area? Preferably something of the EconoLodge or Days Inn variety, as opposed to the Radisson. I’ll also accept a Holiday Inn Express. :wink:

I’m working on the hotel thing. There are a couple of good places in the area, maybe two miles or so from the pub. I’ll post a short list of suggestions as soon as I have a chance to find out their rates. (Unfortunately that won’t be this weekend, as I’ll be out of town. But expect to see the list here on Monday.)

Sounds like a plan. I’ll try to be there.

It’s a long way to heaven, but only three short steps to hell.

(ahem)Well?

“…all the prettiest girls live in Des Moines…”
–Jack Kerouac, On the Road
Chris’ Homepage: Domestic Bliss

And we still need a time confirmation.

Oh, and despite Drain’s artistic license, I will not have male genitalia drawn on my forehead in black permanent marker when I show up to this thing.

Flypsyde:

I suppose that all depends on whether or not you stay conscious, now doesn’t it?

Waste
Flick Lives!

I said I wouldn’t show up with that on my head. I make no assertions about leaving with one. Or staying conscious.

AuraSeer, if you don’t post that list of hotels soon, I won’t be able to go!

Sorry for taking so long, folks, but here are some hotels just a couple miles from Growlers. These are the standard rates they gave me over the phone; you might be able to get a better deal.

Comfort Inn Westport [$59 - $79]
12031 Lackland Rd
(800)228-5150

Red Roof Inn Wesport [$34 - $47]
11837 Lackland Rd
(314)991-4900

Courtyard by Marriott [around $49]
11888 Westline Industrial Rd
(314)997-1200

Residence Inn by Marriott [around $64]
1881 Craigshire Rd
(314)469-0060

And we still need to agree on a time. I still like 7, but I could probably do a bit earlier. If not, I’ll just show up late, but you guys have to promise to not be too drunk when I get there.

I just got off the phone with a very nice lady at Growlers. According to her, on an average Saturday night, the place starts getting crowded between 6:00 and 6:30. She recommends that one or two people from our party show up at 5:45 or so, and request enough seating for the whole group.

So, let’s set the meeting time for 6:00. I’ll get there a while earlier, stake out a big table by the fireplace, and wait for people to show up.

Anybody see a problem with that?

Laugh hard; it’s a long way to the bank.

Nope. Sounds jim dandy. Thanks for doing all the legwork, Aura.

I’d like to invoke my “I’m not a tool for posting twice in a row” rights on the basis that this thread was buried deeper than the Oak Island treasure.

Just a question…anyone bringing a camera?

Then he said, “That is that.”
And then he was gone.
-Dr. Seuss, * The Cat in the Hat*

Sign me up… and pray that my car makes it.

Any estimates as to how many of us there will be attending this (ahem) conference? And how are we going to know each other, a big “STRAIGHT DOPE” sign on the table or something?

–not just another shameless ploy to get the thread back to the top

If everyone shows up, we’ll have about 14 Dopers in one place. It might be as few as eight or so-- a few people have mentioned trouble with their travel accomodations, and two lurkers haven’t responded to my most recent emails-- but our table at Growlers should have plenty of room for everybody.

Laugh hard; it’s a long way to the bank.