St. Louis gathering

In one of the ‘romance’ threads, somebody joked about showing up here in St. Louis. Half-jokingly, I responded: “If any number of you Dopers come visit the city before the end of the year, I will pick up the complete tab for drinks and dinner.”

Then I started getting email, asking me whether I was serious. I am completely serious. If any of you are willing to make the multiple-hour trip to get here, I’m willing to spring for the beer.

It looks like at least some people are interested. How 'bout the rest of you? Shall we try to gather all the Midwestern Dopers in one place?

Laugh hard; it’s a long way to the bank.

AuraSeer, I will try my best as I see what develops date/time wise, etc. I won’t make any promises, except to say “I’ll try”.

Oh, and before I forget, thank you so much for the invitation! :slight_smile:

::thinking:: St. Louis? Hmm, I could come up with a reason to be in St. Louis, depending on scheduling. Keep us posted!

-Melin

I went to High School in the St. Louis area, O’Fallon, IL. Now I live in Wisconsin. St. Louis is a nice city and a good central meeting place for Midwesterners, but maybe Chicago would be better. After all, Cecil writes for the Chicago Reader.

The Rams are certainly doing better than Da’ Bears though.

I lived in St. Louis for a year, and my sister still lives there. I get there on average about once a year. I never miss the chance to visit A. Amitin’s huge used bookstore downtown.

Anyway, I’ll let you know when I plan my next trip!

I’m in Des Moines… you can’t get much more Midwestern than that.

Do we have a timeframe in mind?

BTW, Auraseer: I’ll pay for my own drinks if you’ll offer your couch and a place to park my car…

“ChrisCTP-…the sweetheart of the SDMB…” --Diane
Chris’ Homepage: Domestic Bliss

A timeframe. Hmm. Would the first weekend in November be too soon? That’s the 6th and 7th, two and a half weeks from now. If that doesn’t work, then how about the first weekend in December?

As for the couch, Chris, I don’t think that’d be fair. If I let you sleep on the couch, I have to let everyone else sleep there too… and that’s a whole other can of worms that I am not gonna open. :wink:

I went to college in STL and all my in-laws are there. I’m there at least 4-5 times a year. I’ll probably be there for Christmas and possibly for Thanksgiving.

Free beer? I’m in!

WOO HOO!

Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars.

Well said, Aura…

WELLLLLLL…

Both of those dates work out well for me. But evidently NOBODY else really cares about the fact that the SDMB’s latest heartthrob has invited the world to come play with him, so I guess it’s just gonna be me, right?

HELLO??? Do you guys wanna play or what? We’ll have tons of fun, and then we’ll have our own “Meeeting” minutes thread!!! Doesn’t that sound exciting?

Hut-to people! Will it be November or December?

…I’m not asking you…I’m telling you.

Well, If Chris is going to start barking out these direct orders, I guess I’d better pony up.

First weekend in December would be better for me, I think.

Permission to stand at ease, ma’am?

“I’m still here, asshole!”-Angus Bethune

To the top wi’ ye.

Nothing about the gathering…Aura: MC is the third St Louis doper.

Wow, this thread’s harder to keep up than a hard-on in a retirement home.

Back the head of the class.

I’m in Cape Girardeau, only 90 some miles to the south. I have some relatives and friends (mostly college buddies) in the St. Louis area though.

[Lets see if we can’t maintain this thread a little better. I had to go all the way back to page 2 to find it.]

It’s a long way to heaven, but only three short steps to hell.

Actually, I get in here so infrequently that it was simply chance that I saw this.

I’m in the KC area, and either of those weekends works out okay for me right now. I’ll just be the cheap date who says, “Whatever is fine with me.”

If, that is, I may be bold enough to invite myself.

Waste
Flick Lives!

Now hear this!

I hereby declare that the Gateway Gathering (catchy, no?) will be held on December 11th, which is the second Saturday in that month. Everyone who has ever read one of Cecil’s column is hereby invited.

(If you’re interested but you don’t feel like tracking this thread, send me email and let me know. I’ll keep you up to date as the plans develop.)

Presuming that nobody has a problem with partying on Saturday night, just one question remains: in what kind of place would you all like to hang out? I was thinking of Growlers Pub in Creve Coeur. They have lots of space, great appetizers, and 131 different kinds of beer. (99 bottled, 32 on tap)

Sound like a plan?

BTW, Growlers’ beer list is online at www.growlerspub.com

And back to the top once more, hopefully in time for the lunch rush.

Well, providing I don’t have to work, I’ll be there.

Need thorough directions, though. Have a general idea of where it’s at, but that’s also the far side of the city, so my sense of direction gets a bit hazy.

And back to the top again.