St. Patrick's Day playlist- the movies

The Informer.

I’m surprised TCM isn’t showing a string of old black and white grade B Irish-themed comedies today. Featuring the usual suspects - comical old character actors with Irish accents a mile wide. “Little Nellie Kelly” with Judy Garland, about Irish immigrants and the men all Cops Walking A Beat in NYC - you could have quite a drinking game watching that thing, taking a swig of Guiness every time you heard the word 'Pop" (when talking to dad/grand-dad).

I am glad “The Quiet Man” is on, though I’ve seen it a billion times. It’s just so beautiful to look at. Wouldn’t be St. Patrick’s Day without it.

One more: The Dead, adapted from the Joyce short story.

Another Irish in America … Boondock Saints

Even if their father is played by Scotsman Billy Connolly.

I agree on ‘The Dead’ and have used it as a teaching aid when I did a course on Dubliners.

Edit: I am overjoyed to find it has been recently released on DVD, contrary to my original post.

I was really annoyed there wasn’t any of this fodder airing here either. The schedules are generally bereft of Irishy stuff except the latest Simpson’s episode.

I studiously avoid all this shite around the 17th! I am Irish all year 'round, thankyouverymuch, and I am surrounded by people who are “Irish today” and who will be Mexican in a couple of months… :wink:

Frigging amateur night for drinkers, too. Listen, loser- if you’re not already in the habit of drinking all day, it’s a really bad idea to start now. It usually ends badly. Leave this kind of drinking to the professionals.

:cool:

Irish Americans:

The Last Hurrah (1958), Spencer Tracy
The Long Gray Line (1955), Tyrone Power, Maureen O’Hara
Beau James (1957), Bob Hope
Top o’ the Morning (1949), Bing Crosby, Ann Blyth, Barry Fitzgerald
Shamrock Hill (1949), Peggy Ryan
The Luck of the Irish (1948), Tyrone Power, Anne Baxter
Abie’s Irish Rose (1946), Joanne Dru
The Valley of Decision (1945), Greer Garson, Gregory Peck
Irish Eyes Are Smiling (1944), Monty Woolley, June Haver, Dick Haymes
Leave It to the Irish (1944), James Dunn
The Merry Monahans (1944), Donald O’Connor, Peggy Ryan, Jack Oakie
Going My Way (1944), Bing Crosby, Barry Fitzgerald
Gentleman Jim (1942), Errol Flynn
The Strawberry Blonde (1941), James Cagney, Olivia de Havilland

Fox Movie Channel has today what TCM doesn’t:

The Black Swan (1942), Tyrone Power, Maureen O’Hara
The Luck of the Irish
Irish Eyes Are Smiling
The Fox Legacy: The Brothers McMullen

The only Irishy movie I saw was Gangs of New York, last night. Had that been edited right it could have been a really good auld film.

My Left Foot is a good movie, although I don’t think Christy Brown is someone I’d want to hang out with. Agnes Browne, with Anjelica Huston is very good, too.

StG

I watched The Quiet Man - I do every March 17th (my own personal tradition) - though I still haven’t figured out what they are burning in the meadow when “you’re in-laws have come for a visit, Squire darlin’.”

And I think I’m going to add The Commitments next year … howlingly funny dialogue.

I wanted to say this one! One of the little characteristics I loved about it is that everybody in the village is a storyteller. It’s like, telling a tale is a rite of passage in this community. I liked how, when the young boy was telling his portion of the tale to the little girl, he had this very satisfied expression on his face: I’m telling a tale, and I’m telling it well. I truly belong, now.

Or he could have just been a poor actor, who couldn’t stop smirking when he knew the camera was on him. But I like my interpretation better.