Star Citizen is the Future of PC Gaming, and it [was] Free to Play this week (Edit: No Longer Free)

Unless Star Citizen’s circumstances significantly change in the next couple of months, Elite’s expansion certainly will.

Battle arenas and players participating in the actions of major political powers are already in. Ground-based combat and multiplayer crews are definitely coming. Wouldn’t be surprised if player-operated bases are planned for next year.

Well even if they do, that wouldn’t necessarily mean you were wrong about their situation today.

I certainly don’t know either, and I agree that some of these decisions they’ve been making don’t seem conducive to the end game being what they’ve described ot the fans.

I do hope it comes together eventually. I don’t think it will next year, I think 2-3 years is more likely.

I would say you should offer them your services, except I know you work for Sony and you’d make it a PS4 exclusive ;p

Wait what? Ground combat and multiplayer crews are coming to Elite? Haven’t checked in on that game since my flight stick broke a few months ago. This is news to me. I guess I’m going to have invest in a new one.

Yep. Elite: Dangerous: Horizons, the paid expansion coming in time for the holidays, will have vehicular ground combat and (ISTR) commander avatars. A recent newsletter featured an image of a multiplayer bridge, not sure if this will be part of Horizons or soon after.

I have taken out all links to the site. This is, without a doubt, spam. Helpful or not, it still falls under the definition of spam and also intends to further someone’s cause by bringing them in money and traffic.

Don’t spam with those links again, defenderofjustice, or you will be banned. Only reason you’re not being banned as a spammer automatically is because some people think your info is/was helpful and it’s spawned some discussion. At this message board, though, that is clearly spam. I’m sure if someone really wants to know where they can register and use codes or pay for the stuff, they can easily find it via search engines.

I’ve also taken the links out of others posts, don’t link to it, please…but I’ll leave this thread open for any further discussion.

According to this, the steep cost of Horizons is actually for a group of four expansions.

The question is, do they have the money to sustain themselves that long? If they were working for a deep-pocketed publisher, they would have a well to go back to. I’m not sure how long their donor base is willing to wait.

They’re in a weird bind. If they show the public anything that doesn’t look amazing, they run the risk of turning off the crowdfunding tap. So there’s a built-in incentive to promise more and more and dig themselves into a deeper hole.

:smiley:

I’m sure Randy Pitchford will be there to buy the IP and finally release it for us. : )

What is the sequence their focus should have followed?

It’s a bit of a hijack, since it’s about Elite and not Star Citizen, but I’m not terribly happy about being asked to pay again for stuff that was in the original crowdfund I bought into.

Pretty sure all Elite expansions are free for those who were in on the original beta. I bit the bullet and got the Season Pass, which is basically the same thing for those who weren’t in on the original beta.

That should have been Lifetime Season Pass. Edit window closed.

If this is true (I was), then I would be less unhappy

Confirmed: Alpha/Premium Beta backers also have the lifetime pass. Standard Beta backers do not.

Perhaps discussions of Elite should be taken over here.

1. Create concept pieces to establish a visual target.
  2. Create a crude set of gameplay assets for development and testing
  3. Get the foundations of the engine sorted, particularly with regards to server/renderer/physics. This gives you a sense of polygon/texture/effects budgets.
  4. Iterate on the game to make it fun to play. Use this information to iterate your gameplay assets. Do ships have distinctive silhouettes? Does your damage model look right in-game?
  5. Execute a vertical slice. Build out a narrow bit of the game to high quality. Verify your previous assumptions. Get production metrics for asset production. Adjust scope accordingly.
  6. Ramp up to full production. Hire a bunch of artists or bring an outsourcing house into the picture. Start building the game for real.

If you start making final art too soon you find yourself throwing away a lot of work. If you start SELLING final art too soon you find yourself locked into decisions that hurt you when you try to get the game to actually play the way you want.

Seems that crowd funding doesn’t even raise an eyebrow these days. In fact, I’ve noticed a few games seem to be going that route when you’d think they could easily secure “traditional” funding today. Divinity: Original Sin 2, for example.

From the sound of it, the criticism about Star Citizen seems to be the enormous amount of money they’ve taken in but not really “justified” via results. Maybe that’s part of the sausage making process of video games but there’s also enough failed games that it’s legitimate to question it, especially as they continue to pass the hat for more funding via what may be virtual swampland.

A proven studio using this kind of funding seems good to me in the sense that it gives them more freedom to make a good game. Especially if it’s a studio that’s proven itself able and willing to just deliver a good game even if it’s not perfect, and - this is important - even if it doesn’t deliver every little thing they promised.

I funded Divinity: Original Sin, and some of the stretch goals that were reached weren’t delivered in the final game and have been completely cut; they’re never going to appear. While disappointing in a way, the fact is they proved that they will deliver a good game without torpedoing themselves trying to reach perfect by fulfilling unachievable promises. Sure, ideally they wouldn’t make these promises, but it’s not practical to never make such mistakes without being absurdly conservative on your projections of what you can achieve. There’s always going to be things you think are reasonable goals that turn out to be much more difficult for one reason or another, and successfully producing a finished game at all requires being willing to cut those things once they turn out to be impossible. This made me confident in funding Divinity: Original Sin 2. I know they will deliver a good game, and won’t get hung up on trying to deliver a perfect game.

Now, to bring this around to the topic of Star Citizen, it seems very likely that their first project was way too ambitious. As far as I’m aware, this is the first game by the development studio; it was basically formed to publish this game. They should have tried to release a few much smaller, solid, good games, so that they could establish the experience needed in order to know how to produce and actually release a game via crowdfunding, and then, as a proven studio, go on to crowdfund and release Star Citizen, and perhaps that would have been a good path to a good, or even great game.

As it is, even if there’s no malfeasance going on (and rumors are full of potential malfeasance as far as where the money is going goes) they seem overwhelmed and unable to handle it. They’ve gotten into the perfect being the enemy of the good, where they keep coming up with awesome stuff that has to be included because it’s so awesome, and absolutely everything has to be done.

all I know about Star Citizen is the Something Awful threads making fun of it for how long it’s taken to develop and how they keep asking for more money

Chris Roberts has been basically making variations of this same game since the mid-90’s. So its not totally crazy to give him money and expect him to make a game out of it.

But I think you’re right that stretch goals can kind of create a tread-mill effect for projects like this, where to meet the last goal the developers have to raise more money, and so then offer more stretch goals to do so.

So I did some Googling and it turns out The Escapist ran an extraordinarily damning article earlier this month about the game.

They also put out an equally interesting article talking about how they vetted their sources for that story.