Star Trek Discovery season 4

What does it say about me that I loathe Discovery, but absolutely loved the OA, that scene included? Maybe I just like shows that commit to their insanity

This is either bad writing, or an elaborate attempt to show the audience how Vulcans see Humans.

What the fuck is the deal with those flaming vents on the bridge?

Has Discovery gone full Galaxy Quest with its own version of the chompers?

They’re natural gas burners, and they look utterly ridiculous. It jumped out at me the moment they used them in Ep 1. The fuck? What would cause a huge flame to shoot out of the wall like that?

Yet another example of this show’s total lack of subtlety or an adult approach to anything. “You know what’s cool? FIRE! If we have some fire that’s exciting! Huh huh huh huh huh cool!” It’s Star Trek as produced by Beavis and Butt-Head. It’s written for dull-witted children. Just terrible.

I should also point out that one of the show’s few bright points was the character of Saru, but he’s gotten progressively worse as the show has gone on and now I’m not sure he has a character. Having him lose his inherent fear response was not a good move.

In theory this could actually be a good ongoing side story, but it will be resolved in one episode, through long, tearful conversations, probably filmed while the actors sit on a couch.

The other thing is, like, is Robot Prom Date now allowed to just walk around Discovery? Can you create a literal physical person and just have them live on a warship?

And I’m still confused as to whether Kelvin timeline is the one we’re in. I mean, I guess not, but apparently in this timeline it is still true that the Romulan star went surprise-supernova, right? (With all the countless scientific stupidities of that.)

It went supernova in the Sacred Timeline, not the Kelvin one. That’s why Picard deals with its aftermath.

I mean, not just that, we had two members of an ancient mystical order, former master and student, sword-fighting on board of said no-moon…

That said, I thought the whole ‘save the stranded world-ship’ plotline was… almost decent? I mean, nothing terribly innovative, but a solid sort of sci-fi staple. Just a shame it got coated in STD whispertalk blubbering (I mean, is anybody else getting the impression that the writers really needed somebody to talk to them in their teens, to tell them that they see them, I mean like really see, for what they truly are, and stuff?).

Thats the thing - Discovery could be fantastic Star Trek - all they need to do is dump Burnham and keep Saru (Last season Saru). There are a lot of things they get right.

I preferred first season Saru. The idea of a species that acts like a prey species was interesting.

Most of the bridge crew have no discernable character at all, and really now only Tilly seems like a fleshed out PERSON (well, and Wesley 2.0, who’s just a lovesick teenager.) Michael is the greatest Mary Sue in television history. which is not a character, and really… who else?

That Youtube video Phantom Menace review has a sequence where a bunch of people in the immediate circle of the video’s narrator are asked “Describe this Star Wars character, but you can’t say what they look like, just describe them as a person.” For old Star Wars characters they nail it over and over. “Han Solo is a rogue, a thief with a heart of gold, he thinks he’s cooler than anyone else does.” “C3PO is a prissy, oblivious dolt.” “Leia’s an arrogant know it all but she’s principled” and stuff like that. But when presented with Phantom Menace characters: “Qui Gon Jinn? That’s… it was Liam Neeson? Okay, he’s… well… hmmm.”

I feel that way about most Discovery characters. Like, what is Book’s CHARACTER? He’s a Good Guy, and he likes cats, but is he impatient? Wise? Reflective?

Nah, it has some really good moments, such as the episode with the Troi-Rikers. And whenever Brent Spiner appeared. Plus, the new characters were people you actually liked, and were memorable, like Rios, Raffi, and mid-life crises Seven was a hoot. Compare with Discovery, after 3 seasons, I have no idea who most of the bridgre crew are, and half the time I can’t even remember their names.
They are beginning Q back in season 2, so that sounds very promising.

That’s just a failure of descriptive imagination. “Grizzled Jedi Master who often clashes with the Council but is very centered in the calm of the Force”

Speaking of, they seem to have lost all of their non-humans (other than Saru.)

They still have the big tumour head guy.
And Adira is half Trill.

One thing that has always bugged me about Star Trek in general is that they basically just ignore the speed of light. The Anomaly is only something like 4 AU across, right? Unless it’s moving superluminally, you’d have decades before it managed to eat another system.

I know, I know- Star Trek and science are only tangentially related, but it still bugs me.

“Grizzled” is a description of what he looks like.

He’s a TERRIBLE character, though admittedly not as bad as Phantom Menace Obi-Wan. Or Amidala. Or the Trade Federation guys.

meesa think you left somebody out!

Yes, that is only one of the problems. Another being that gravity waves are very, very, very weak.

The thing is, Jar-Jar actually did have a personality. Admittedly, his personality was “Stupid, useless, grating, incompetent coward”, but at least we knew what he was.

As much as I hate Jar Jar, he at least is discernably a character.

Of course, that also describes C3PO, but C3PO wasn’t a racist cartoon.

your list was of TERRIBLE characters.