Star Trek Lower Decks

Lower Decks is set in 2380. TNG started in 2364. Star Trek: Nemesis, the last outing of the TNG crew, was set in 2379.

To put it another way, when Boimler hero-worships Tom Paris, note that Voyager only returned a couple of years previously.

Does that put an age range on Mariner? IIRC, Sito Jaxa was a cadet in season 5 (so about 2369), and an Ensign in season 7 (about 2371), so presumably she graduated in 2370. Mariner didn’t necessarily have to be the same class as Jaxa; if she idolized Jaxa then we can presume Mariner graduated a year behind (so 2371). And in the same year, Jaxa is lost, and Mariner reacts with self-destructive behavior.

The Dominion War was between 2373 and 2375, so Mariner certainly could have served during it as a junior officer.

If Mariner graduated in 2371, we can guess she was 22 then, so she was born in 2349. That makes her 31 at the start of Lower Decks. If LD progresses with 1 year show time = 1 year real time, then she’s now 34 or so.

It may be easier to work backwards. IIRC one of her classmates had been promoted to the rank of Captain a season or two ago. Let’s say that takes 15–20 years; that would make Mariner 37 to 42, give or take.

But that doesn’t fit with what we just found out about her and Jaxa. Probably because in some cases officers make Captain in ~10 years or so.

Most people become Captains of Starships in their 40s or older, Kirk did it in his 30s and that is looked at as exceptional. There are smaller ships where the captains are younger and less experienced (and sometimes not even technically the rank Captains-there was an episode of DS9 where a lieutenant was the Captain of a small vessel) but the big star ships would normally have seasoned commanders

Good season finale, but these seasons are way too short.

EEEEEEEEEEE! Wesley Crusher! I was hoping he’d make an appearance!

In my defense, please know that I was all of seven years old when TNG began and I’ve always liked Wesley. Too bad the writers didn’t.

When do we open the betting pool on the next government overthrow on Orion?

This is blatant Jean Hajar erasure and I won’t stand for it.

But seriously, good episode. Now we gotta wait til after the strike is over and they record their new parts to see season five.

Tendi is one of my favorite Trek characters of all time. They’ve done such a great job weaving her badass pirating background into her bubbly personality rather than just doing a lazy Jekyll/Hyde setup.

I think she’s going to pull the same technicality trick her sister used.

“I said I’d return to Orion, I never said I’d stay on Orion!”

Yeah I imagine that cliff hanger will get resolved within an episode or two like Boimler a few seasons back.

Could be. Or could be that sister regrets having her there pretty fast.

This was announced a few months ago, but it’s news to me: IDW will release a Lower Decks interactive graphic novel-- a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure comic book-- called Warp Your Own Way, fall of 2024!

OK, I’m only on Season 2, and I think it’s great!
So far, this bit is my favorite. Take a one-episode character from 30 years ago, and write something that shows how the future might be - that “nobody” ensigns would have heard about the fate of Tasha Yar. Gets you right there…

For those of us that were waiting. Paramount+ is being offered as a 2 month special for $3 per month. A 75% savings. Just remember, after you sign up, set a reminder in 35 days to cancel the subscription.

I have a die-hard Trekker friend who was not feeling this show, and he finally admitted as he watched Season 2 that it has won his heart. He says he gets every reference in the show. Every reference.

Hell, I don’t even get most of them. I haven’t seen much TOS.

He didn’t like Mariner at first. Personally she’s one of my favorite Trek characters.

But I think Boimler trying to get that Borg invasion simulation down perfect was what won him over. It’s so funny and so relatable.

First 2 episodes of season 4 were very good. I love a Star Trek show mocking Star Trek: Lost in Space, I mean Voyager.

Ryan North did a very good job turning Shakespeare into CYOA books, so I’m optimistic here.

Great season. I love this show