Star Trek Strange New Worlds trailer and now begins Streaming 2022/05/09

Yyyyup!

Man, Trek sure has a weird definition of ‘dead’ in TNG times.

Data wants to thaw out some frozen humans. Picard chides him saying they were ‘dead’. Yet…they bring them back.

In Tuvix, our title character pleads that Tuvok and Neelix are ‘dead’…yet they are brought back.

Apparently dead means ‘it’d be a little bit of trouble to bring them…oh…you did it. Ok.’

Avery Brooks was an awesome actor. They did try with Janeway, but Mulgrew’s performance eventually did it on its own merits (and it soon became the Doctor and Seven show anyway).
You have endless backpatting when the show sucks on its own merits.

How is that an example, given that it’s the source of the “Spock suddenly had an adopted sister” thing?

You have to understand, people who complain about “wokeness” in comments like that are, in their entirety:

1. teenage boys poking the squares
  2. Russian troll farms

The third possible group:
3) longstanding racists coming out of the closet thanks to trump

don’t tend to frequent message board to complain about the latest Star Trek detail.

It was… ok. A bit too many scenes with people talking about their feelings, a bit too much fanservice, and not much of a plot, but it’s the first episode and I’ll cut them some slack.

Well, if they really wanted to be progressive, they should have had Soren played by a male actor. But that would not have flown in 1992.

So after TOS…Trek WASNT always woke. It was ‘safe woke’

Can you imagine Trek casting a a ‘Chekov’ today?? When Russians are being barred from chess tournaments and Wimbledon.

It’s always been safe woke.

Yeah, I agree that Star Trek has always been “safe woke” but even that is still pushing against social boundaries. Just look at how many people still whine and pule over Star Trek having some of the most milquetoast stances like “ICE is bad” or “An African American woman can be captain.”

It’s always been a liberal show, rather than a radical one. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Earth’s 21st Century in Trek’s timeline was always pretty bad. Things got worse before they got better.

I definitely noticed the January 6 imagery in that montage.

Damnit dude…i was literally about to comment.

I think its silly from an in-show POV to imply ‘thats where it started!!’

To the aliens it seems to be saying “This is your future!! Protesting!!!” …cause without context, thats what it appears Pike is saying.

nm - probably too political for this forum

Enh…i figure we got a few more posts before the hammer comes down if we keep it polite and vow to get back on course.

What we really need is just a seperate Trek forum

So what did you think of the pilot episode?

Perhaps it’s too soon to draw conclusions about the direction of the series, but I liked how it appears to be a return to the original ST format. You know, go to a new world, beam down, get into adventures and cover some sort of moral issue.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed aspects of all the various Trek series, but there’s clearly a market out there for a return to basics, and the initial show at least felt to me like it promises to go in that direction.

I liked the first episode up until the end where Kirk beams down between the two leaders and starts preaching to both sides and showing a PowerPoint presentation to the entire planet.

Still it shows promise, I’ll watch again.

Kirk?

Stranger

Duh, Pike. But he did look and act like like Kirk.

I agree 100 percent. It wasn’t spectacular or anything but the format is what I want from Star Trek:

Skilled professionals facing new problems in a sci-fi setting and working together to reach solutions, with an emphasis on making the right decisions and doing their jobs well. Grownups in the future doing homework, basically.