Star Trek Strange New Worlds trailer and now begins Streaming 2022/05/09

At least it’s not a “mid-quel” series set post-TOS, featuring the adventures of the Enterprise-B with Jean-Luc Picard’s great-uncle serving as helmsman or some dumb shit like that.

Funny you should mention that, because the Enterprise-B was, in fact, helmed by Demora Sulu, Hikaru Sulu’s daughter.

It was supposed to be Sulu himself, but Takei refused.

Strange New Worlds Intro.

Mount is only the third actor to say these famous words.
Shatner and Stewart did, but as far as I can recall the intros for DS9, Voyager and Enterprise didn’t feature any voiceover from Brooks, Mulgrew and Bakula.

If you’re counting one-offs, Leonard Nimoy said a variation ("…new life forms…") at the end of Star Trek II, and Scott Bakula said the final part (following clips of Stewart and Shatner) at the end of the Enterprise finale.

Its in the end credits of 2009 Star Trek movie - recited by several actors in turn - and recited by Kirk at the end of ST:Darkness

First episode was good.

I’m not sanguine about NuTrek’s prediction that we’re definitely headed towards a Second American Civil War, though.

I think they missed a major point Roddenberry was trying to make way back in 1965. Star Trek is probably the original poster child for Woke TV Show. Weird they could be a Star Trek fan and miss that part.

I would have preferred them sticking to the idea that Star Trek’s timeline diverged from our own sometime in the mid 20th century, thus 1990s Eugentics Wars and other obvious anachronisms. Even if that means I can’t look forward to seeing the first warp flight in 2063.

Surprisingly, yes. I didn’t know they could make good live-action Trek any more.

This fits largely into TOS and what we ‘knew’ then - they just added current imagery -and again - thats very TOS.

The 1990’s were a fairly bloody time. The Balkan wars, Wars in the Caucuses the Great War of Africa, the Rawadan Genocide, the Afghan Civil wars etc.
Just because N America and W Europe were peaceful…

Its also very possible that the Eugenics War is a catchall term used by future historians for a series of disperate wars, a bit like how we call the multiple late middle age conflicts between France and England the 100 years war, and the 17th century European sectarian conflicts Thirty Years war.

Considering the 1990’s introduced the term “ethnic cleansing” into the popular lexicon and Eugenics is literally about weeding out undesirables, man I find the term almost prescient…

Enjoyed the first episode - really reminded me of the original series. Very humanlike aliens? Check. Very earthlike planet? Check. Obvious allusions to current events? Check. And most welcome off all, self contained story? Check.

Same faces but different races. Sorry, couldn’t help the rhyme. Seriously, after what they’ve done with the ship, not to mention the Klingons, changing a characters race seems like pretty small leola root.

The Star Trek franchise has essentially been fan service (written and produced by people who are not fans) since the first J.J. Abrams movie. It isn’t as if going back to Star Trek: The Next Generation the shows were above a little fan service now and again, and sometimes to excess (like that episode where they find Scotty in a transport buffer on a ship crashed on the outside of a Dyson Sphere, and neither the technique of preserving someone in that way or this giant megastructure constructed an unknown civilization are never mentioned again in that series or any other) but each of the shows and movies could mostly stand on its own without knowledge of the preceding work. The current producers of Star Trek product advertisements are terrified of doing something without strong hooks to the past because when they try they make absolute shiite like Discovery that is contrary to pretty much everything that made Star Trek appealing to its die-hard fans. I don’t even care all that much about Star Trek and I still find it offensive for the sheer venality of it.

Stranger

I want to point out…btw…not only is it ingenious they used The Cage to make The Menagerie…its a fantastic Spock episode.

Also that Pike make-up is horrific even by todays standards

I’ve never really understood those arguments. Back in the 60s, the leading expert on computers in the Federation was a black guy, in the episode “Court Martial” Kirk is outranked by Commodore Stone who is a black man, on the bridge of the Enterprise we had a Russian, an African, and an Asian officer, and in general the whole Federation was made up of many different species working together towards a common goal. Star Trek was always woke.

Progressive does not equal ‘woke’.

I don’t recall endless self back-patting about Sisko being the DS9 lead nor Janeway being Captain in Voyager. When in the future such things are taken for granted, that’s what we should be striving towards.

And good Christ…how is The Outcast received these days?? At the time it was progressive…then was called hamfisted…Now? “This white cis-male (Actually Riker is probably closer to pansexual) punches out a bunch of non-binary aliens to steal away his GF”

Im being sarcastic, but I wouldnt be surprised to see that take.

Well the crew of the Enterprise in TNG could sometimes be smug about how much better they were than humans in the past.