star wars hyperspace velocity formula?

In star trek, a ship’s velocity is calculated as warp factor
cubed multiplied by warp factor cube root:
warp 1=1c
warp 2=10c
warp 3=39c…
with warp 10 an infinite velocity. the fastest Federation ships operate in the warp9.9 range (Approx.5000c).
In various star wars sites the hyperspace velocity is in the million c range, but no formula is given to substantiate this velocity.
Anyone have any answers?
enolancooper

I’m not sure, but I think it’s c over it’s just a movie*suspension of disbelief - the cube root of because you need faster than light travel for a galactic empire+5.

Well played, Captain Amazing.

Of course its the characteristics of a fictional universe in the first place, but from the little of what I remember from my star wars fandom days (a while back), wasn’t the ‘hyperspace explanation’ something to the effect that once they engaged the hyperspace drive it shifted them into a sort of parallel dimension that had different physical laws (allowing faster than light travel and other sci-fi plot devices).

I’d just like to say this brings back fond memories of star wars rpg sessions from days long past.

I don’t get you. By my back-of-the-napkin calculations, according to your formula, warp 9.9 should be about 2100c, not 5000. And your formular certainly does not make warp 10 infinate. You’d need a function that is asymptotical at 10 for that.

Personally, my favorite device is the wormhole; a tunnel through a higher dimension. Imagine a two-dimensional universe whose space is the surface of a sphere. Now imagine they find a tunnel through the middle of the sphere that comes out on the other side. They can now get to the other side of the universe much faster. Now re-apply the concept to a three dimensional universe.

I personally prefer Bistromath. Much more efficient and timely.

Trivial, but Warp 9.9 is about 2100 if the formula is correct.

In fact, only at values very close to ten does the calculation given in the OP amount to an error.

If I knew (and I do) that the warp curve is asymptotic at ten, then I would simply create a fraction, multiplying the top and the bottom by (10-w). So what we have, then, for warp speed is

(10W[sup]3.3_[/sup]-W[sup]4.3_[/sup]) / (10-W) = Coefficient of c

In the above equation, 3.3_ means three and one third, and similarly 4.3_ means four and one third.

I don’t see how warp 9.9 could possibly be 5000c by any stretch of the formula given.

I highly doubt that any Star Wars books have ever supplied their form of faster-than-light travel equations like Star Trek.