Stargate: Colonization

Premise: The Stargates of the TV series are real, and lead to hundreds of habitable worlds. It is decided that we will begin colonization. Other nations and regional groups (China, India, EU, African Bloc, SA Block, etc) will be given their own set of worlds to colonize under their own authority.

Initial survey has been carried out to determine that these worlds are reasonably safe, stable and friendly to human life.

Phase 1: Initial Colonization. This is the most primitive phase of just getting people on the ground. Colonists must be largely self-sufficient and can only take what they can push, pull or carry. A single base (read: village) will be set up that, because of pressing needs of dozens of colonies, will probably only have contact with Earth about once a month or less, for the purposes of resuply of vital materials. Survey teams will go in and colonists have the option to claim pre-set surveyed plots of up to 100 or 1000 hectares (depending on the site terrain), or to wander off-res, so to speak and claim their own lands beyond the initial site.

During this phase, expected to last as long as 20 years, GPS and weather satellites will be put in place. Resource and climate surveys conducted as well as full planetary exploration. You may chose to participate in this or remain on your little patch of settlement.

Phase 2: 10-20 years down the line. Large scale colonization. Sites have been selected and some gates may have been moved to better on-world sites for the new cities to be built from scratch.

The Chinese have requested a several month loan of the gate in order to move 100 million peasants en-masse to their chosen primary colony. The Indians are contemplating the same.

Some worlds have been relegated to semi-primitive “backpacker” status. Perhaps due to lack of exploitable resources, perhaps due to unsuitable or unstable climates, maybe just because we discover that they’re too far off the beaten track space wise.

Some worlds have been delegated by the UN as havens for certain persecuted minoroty sects and ethnic groups that have never had their own homelands. One world is being divided into approximately 40 different zones for this purposes.

Ships have arrived and are beginning to survey the rest of those planetary systems and the nearby (non-network) star systems.

It’s a heady time, with Humanity very focused on the whole idea of moving so many people “to the stars”.

Phase 3: 30+ years down the line.

At least a dozen worlds now have a single city rather well developed and are looking to expand. Ships have been built to conduct non-gate trade between a couple of worlds that are close enough together, and search for off-network worlds and resources.
Question: Would you be interested in taking part in this process, and if so, at what point and in what way?

For my own part, even though I’m a bit older and don’t have a lot of the skills they’d need for the big work, I’d be quite happy to become a “backpacker” and, preferably in association with a few other individuals, set forth onto one of these new worlds. The real key for me being that, since it’s not a one-way ship expedition, in the event of “issues”, I could always theoretically return to Earth.

If I was a young person straight out of college at any one of these points of colonization, then there would be no question, I’m going. Preferably as one of the initial surveyers, or as part of a ship crew.

I dont think that I would have the time ,but perferably it would be in the second wave of colonists to any one given planet. While it might be dangerous, its been mapped and studdied enough that there is no surprises and your gonna be looking at a fusion of bronze age tech with information age knowledge.

Its hard to say what I would do though, finding a offworld climate like california or florida would top my list.

Declan

Has anyone asked the people who already live there how they feel about this? Or will they be told to take up their grievances with Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson?

The way my luck is, I will have been killed by the first System Lord Earth invasion attempt shortly after the gate is activated for the first time. Probably in a really dumb way, like debris from the destruction of the Goa’uld mothership falling from orbit onto my house. Yeah, they didn’t think of that when they went and destroyed the ship, did they? For some of us, living under the yoke of Goa’uld oppression was preferable to the alternative.

So, no I don’t think I’ll be interested, being dead and all.

If your talking about a stargate system, then the colony worlds will have already been scouted to a certain degree. Inhabited worlds will be quarintined so that no contamination to either culture occurs. Its easier to deal with an empty world than spending lots of dough on evicting the current occupants.

Declan

Unless there’s a precious resource that we want. Then I can see the lines of morality blur a great deal.

But the thing with a lot of the SG system was that sure, there were a lot of worlds with Humans on them, taken from old cultures.

But;

A> They’re Human, and
B> There don’t seem to be a lot of them. Lots of worlds had only a couple of villages.

So you land, move the gate to an unpopulated continent, and go from there. Quarantine the area with the small population on the other side of the world and colonize away. After all, if there are two freaking villages in Africa, you still have several other large continents to work with. And again, they’re human and from old Earth cultures, so if they’re eventually absorbed into a growing human colony, it’s not like it’s some great huge genicidal tragedy.

I wouldn’t mind working on the project, but I think I’d prefer to stay on Earth, at least until the infrastructure is up and running.

One improvement I would suggest is to ensure that each colony had the dialing schedules and gate addresses for a few of the other colonies. So if you had 50 different colonies being developed, divide them into groups of 4-5 distributed evenly around the resupply schedule. That way any colony could have guaranteed contact with Earth within 6 days if necessary, while still limiting the possibility of disease or invaders spreading throughout the entire colony network.