Stargate SG-1 22 June: Series Finale

One of my friends says Claudia Black would be perfect as Polgara. I must agree.

I assume you don’t mean one of those demons with the retractable forearm spikes from Buffy Season 4.

We seem to be surrounded by Philistines… She would have made an excellent Lara, that is a brilliant observation.

Err, yes they did:

Found here.

A little late to the thread, I know. I just finished watching the last episode of season 10 on DVD. A few random observations of this season…

What’s up with T’ealc’s hair? I’m not talking about the last episode when the crew had all aged and T’ealc had the grey Paulie streaks on the sides. I’m talking about the entire season when his hair ranged from Jheri curl to bone straight. I forgot which season it was that he originally let his hair grow, but didn’t it seem to have a more natural texture then? I guess I can check back a few seasons for the answer to that one, but man, I was totally distracted by T’ealc’s hair all season 10.

I thought 200 was an okay episode. The one pretty good part was the Farscape tie-in sequence, which I hoped they would do and was gleefully ecstatic that they did, but was disappointed that (a) it was too short, and (b) Ben didn’t play Crichton. On the other hand, Amanda as Chiana was an absolute scream!

Claudia Black, in my opnion, is much more sexy as Vala than she was as Aeryn.

I agree with other poster’s contentions that the last season had a little too much of a Vala focus and had morphed into Fargate, but I guess that was somewhat inevitable, what with Ben and Claudia’s addition to the cast.

I kind of felt sorry for Adria throughout the season, and hoped Vala would turn her in the end.

I found there to be many parallels between the perveyors and tenets of Origin and many organized religions today.

I admit I teared-up in the last scene of the Arkad episode Talion when Bra’tak expressed his pride in T’ealc, calling him the son he never had.

Mitchell losing it in the last episode, although predictable, felt right, as though that’s how he, being Mitchell, should have reacted.

I didn’t care for the Vala/Daniel pairing. It was a little too contrived for me.

All in all I liked season 10. Yes, there were enough loose ends to make an entire sweater, but I am a satisfied fan. The ending wasn’t horrible, and the show, in my opinion, ended before it jumped the shark. In fact, in my opinion, there were no sharks in sight.

My favorite part from the season came from Family Ties:

Jasec: Quite frankly I expected more.

Carter: But the truth is the Stargate program doesn’t get the support it used to from the people in charge.

Jasec: Why not?

Dr. Lee: Eureka! One down, twelve to go.

Jasec: That’s too bad because after all your Stargate program has accomplished for this network of planets, I would think that the decision makers would show it the respect it deserves.

Stupid, short-sighted, bad B-movie loving, idiotic programming Sci-Fi Channel. As someone else said, Wrestling?? …sigh.

Sorry, I’m late to the party, just finished the DVDs…

Actually, a kid would’ve worked out perfect, because he or she could have either gone into the time-protection field (phasing field?), perhaps with or instead of Teal’c. The DVD commentary said there is a scene of Vala crying with Daniel, which is ambiguous, but could imply Vala lost the child.

Commentary also confirmed hinting at a Sam and Teal’c relationship, and they held hands in several scenes. (subtle one when seated around the dinner table, less subtle one when Teal’c comforted Sam after the death of Landry)

As for charging up the shields in the time dilation field and blowing up the Ori ships, my fanwank explanation is that the ZPM is already fairly depleted. Since it works by pulling energy from other dimensions, in a time dilation field, it doesn’t get much energy since all the other dimensions are slowed to a crawl compared to them.

So, they get a tiny bit of energy dribbling out of the ZPM to run life support and maintain the time dilation field, but not enough to recharge shields. But that’s not a very good explanation, since they have years and years of time to build up the shield charge.

Or maybe the Ori shot is already inside the shield perimeter, so charging the shields doesn’t help?

My solution to the time field problem would be to reconfigure the ship slowly with a sealed hole built into the hull. Teal’c and Mitchell can do a lot of spacewalks over 20-30 years and Carter can redesign the ship with all systems re-routed around the hole.

The hole is positioned exactly so the Ori shot passes through it. This gives them enough time after they drop out of the time dilation field to engage the Hyperdrive and escape. Unfortunately, the cast is also permanently aged. But this would seem smarter than hoping for a deus-ex machina time-reversal solution.

(it would also give Mitchell something to do to avoid the space maaadness)