Starting right NOW, how long could you go without spending any money?

Five hour commute home, thanks to flooding. Need gas in AM.

Ignoring gas and bills… aw, I can’t, it’s the 4th. Need to pick up party supplies.

Assuming it wasn’t a national holiday… five days, on average.

You know, I’ve never tried to not spend money but I’m guessing it would be more difficult than I thought. Right now I wouldn’t be able to go 24 hours since I have a pedicure* scheduled for tomorrow morning.

*trust me, it’s a necessity!

We live paycheck-to-paycheck, and payday is tomorrow.

So, not long.

I’m a teacher so I play this game every summer. I stock up on staples in late may and I have a ton of food in the pantry I don’t eat. Excluding rent and bills I could go two and a half months. If I had gas paid for my car, another month.

Vanity would get me eventually. At the end of three and a half months I wouldn’t be a blonde anymore and that’s just not gonna happen. You’ll pry my highlights out of my cold dead scalp.

I live on a farm and the farm is surrounded by miles of woods. There’s a 12 acre pond here full of fish. I’ve got several guns and plenty of ammo to shoot game and there is plenty of fishing tackle. Also a large freezer full of food. Nobody works away from home, so gas wouldn’t be a factor.

If we HAD to, we could probably get by indefinately. Sure would miss the morning coffee though. Coffee and tea would probably run out in a couple of weeks.

Until about July 31st. I live with my parents during the summer, and their schedules would permit taking me the 5 minute drive to work… but my car tags have to be renewed by July 31st.

Normally I could last for two to three weeks, if I took my dinner with me to work. I live with parents this summer, so I have an unlimited source of food and gas for my car.

But! I am getting my computer in just a few days so as to take advantage of a nice mail-in rebate offered by compusa and HP, so after that I wont be spending a dime until I go back to school.

Ok, just updating like I promised. Last night my buddy Bill showed up in town (he’s on an impromptu cross-country road trip) and I picked up the tab on dinner.

So I spent some cash about 10:40pm, 2 July 2005.

That’s a few days without spending anything. Not bad, I guess.

Bo

I don’t need my car to get to work. And, I have a fair amount of food. Thus, I’d guess a couple of weeks.

Any reason for the question?

I could only last till tomorrow morning. Then I have to buy a ticket to work.

It’s too far to cycle; only about 12 miles as the crow flies, but I have to make a big diversion to cross the river, so that’s about 20 miles. My daughter’s breakfast club starts at 8 and I start work at 9, which doesn’t leave enough time to get to work on slow rush-hour roads. I couldn’t not go to work - I don’t get paid for sick days. If I managed to wangle it as a holiday, I would only get the morning’s pay I’m contracted for, not the full day I’ll be working.

Not counting monthly bills charged to my credit card, I could go 2-3 weeks without spending any money.

I don’t work outside the house, we keep ‘survival’ type quantities of food on hand (result of another MB detailing the problems hurricane survivers had in Florida last year), and I can’t think of anything else I desperately need (clothes, etc.). OTOH, SO would go crazy if unable to get out daily, so I guess it evens out.

First thing I’d have to pay for would be cat food - in a week or so - but even that could be negociated (give them less daily - they’re pretty spoiled, feed them table scraps, etc.) in an emergency, which is what I think you’re getting at here.

Not really. I was running low on pocket cash and I wondered how long I could stretch it before I had to run to the money machine or make a stop at the bank.

I fill my car with gas every Friday on the way home from work and buy groceries for the week.

So - from Monday to Friday, I do not spend a dime. Really.

However, I live in Las Vegas, so from Friday night to Monday morning, well - all bets are off, or on, depending how you look at it. I spend far more than a dime.

dang it…

had to buy some gas and pay the ladies for my laundry… but this is the first time I’ve spent anything since my last post.