Statehood for D.C.?

I think the reason it’s moving forward now is mainly that the Democrats have given up on appealing to white racist voters. There was never a time when they wouldn’t have liked a couple extra Senate seats, but until recently the backlash to creating a majority-Black State would have made the deal a net loss for them by losing seats in rural Southern states. But now those seats are clearly not in play anyway, so there’s no downside for the Dems pushing Statehood.

A less-than-encouraging update:

Decided to bump this thread as a way to comment how utterly screwed DC is likely to be Re: abortion if/when Republicans take congress back.

DC is 2nd only to Massachusetts (tied with vermont) in terms of popular support for abortion rights (70% in all or most cases) and has the most abortions per capita of any state. But if the Republicans take power you know that one of their first acts will be to gleefully screw DC residents out of their reproductive rights. the fact that such legislation would be opposed by more than 2/3 of the people affected just makes the liberal tears extra sweet.

This is why DC needs to get its own representation and self rule.

That’s like saying every MP represents every British subject so why do the Colonies need to elect their own MPs?

That’s absolute nonsense on many levels. One, many of them live in VA or MD when in session. There are many, many others reasons why what you said is nonsense.

The issue that’s the most important to the members of Congress is remaining members of Congress - and as the people in DC have no influence on that issue, Congressional interest in the needs of the people of DC is minimal

OK, imagine that we had a system where everyone lived in some state or another, and the people of every state elected senators and representatives… except that the only people eligible for election were residents of Virginia, so every state had to elect Virginians to represent them. Would that be a fair situation? It doesn’t give Virginia any extra power, after all, since they still elect their own officeholders, just like everyone else. So that’d be OK, right?

If you’re being serious (?), my opinion is no. If you want to make a separate topic…

~Max

Again, this is just incoherent nonsense.

Representation means that they’re chosen by the people, in an election. The people of DC have no elected voting representation in Congress.

So no, they’re not represented in Congress.

I remain baffled by the idea of representation-by-proxy due to someone having a commute past one’s home, but it’s all moot. This is an extremely dead proposal.

In the scenario I proposed, all of the people have representatives that they’ve chosen, in an election. So, is it fair? Or is there more to fairness than that?

I don’t know, probably not. But I don’t see what it has to do with DC. Congress-critters are not at all elected or otherwise chosen by residents of DC, and thus residents of DC have no elected voting representation in Congress. Your argument has not addressed this obvious unfairness at all.

Not only that but, in Numerology … … The meaning of number 51 is a reminder that you are always in control of your destiny. This number also symbolizes leadership, courage, and strength. If you keep seeing this number, it is a sign that you should take charge of your life and make the changes that you want to see.

I find your logic baffling. You seem to be saying that members of Congress represent the interest of DC because they’re “from” there? Congress was in session for 170 days last year. The typical Congressman’s itinerary is to get into DC just before the first votes on Monday or Tuesday evening and get the hell out of Dodge right after the last vote. Their geographic exposure to DC consists of Capitol Hill, Georgetown and K Street. You could probably count on your fingers the number of Congressmen who have set foot in Anacostia, Columbia Heights or Shaw.

And they operate in a completely different stratum from the overwhelming number of residents of DC. Attending lobbyist fundraisers and the Kennedy Center Honors isn’t constituent engagement. They don’t know or care about the specific problems, concerns, and priorities of DC residents. Why would they?

Believing that a group of people don’t deserve equal democratic representation because those in power already know what’s best for them is how colonizers think.

With how DC currently works, nothing. But if DC were a state, then it’d have everything to do with DC, because we’d have one state out of many that directly elects its own representatives, and has the residency of every other state’s representatives as well. This is a definite unfairness that would need to be addressed somehow. The way that the Founders chose to address it was by not making DC a state. Was this the best way to address the issue? Maybe, maybe not… but nobody ever suggests any other way of addressing the issue.

Why? Most world capitols have representatives in their legislative assemblies. Every state capitol is represented in their state legislatures. What’s the specific concern here?

Again, not every congressperson lives in DC, some live in Va and Md, some actually live in their offices. What you’re saying is not accurate, nor is it relevant. Every state has a statehouse where state representatives go to meet, depending on the size of the state and the distance from their district, some state representatives stay near the statehouse when in session. THis is no different.

But it wouldn’t. Many representatives don’t maintain residences in DC at all. And all of them maintain residences in their home states.

Any possible unfairness of this is utterly dwarfed by the unfairness of no elected representatives for the residents of DC.

If I’m understanding the point of this hypothetical, I’d modify it a bit. Every state has to vote for someone who is willing to spend three or four days a week in Virginia, but are also required to have a legsl residence in their own state, where their children live, where their investments are and where they intend to retire. In return for visiting Virginia for less than 40% of the year, they get to make all the laws for Virginia. What a good deal for Virginia and how unfairly the other states would be treated.